What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potting Mixture Questions

Right now, I have my fly traps growing in 100% pure Canadian Spagaeum Peat Moss.

Will that be ok or should I make that 50/50 sand mixture?
If so?

Can I go get beach sand and wash it?

Thanks

definately! Its always better to use a mixture of mixes rather than a pure thing. peat moss is heavy when hydrated and can compact and not give enough air.

ABout beach sand....I am SKEPTICAL, I never used sand but I would never get beach sand...if u prefer sand use silica sand. OR get perlite. :)

Pure sphagnum peat will work fine for VFT's. Personally I like to use sand in my mix, but I know others that use pure peat with no problems.

Beach sand is likely to be loaded with salt and other nasty impurities. I would recommend that you use pure silica sand.

Good luck and welcome to the forums,
Steve

thanks, ive read that pure peat is fine and now im sure of it

also, it is better to have a covering like half a coke bottle or just to leave it out normally in the sun?

abort! abort! Don't use beach sand! Its loaded with salts, oils, and tons of man-made chemicals that will kill a CP very quickly.
I detailed in another thread about soil stuff:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108907

i recommend Black Gold Horticultural Sand - make sure its washed and has no added chemicals in it - especially miracle grow or whatever else they put in it.

also, it is better to have a covering like half a coke bottle or just to leave it out normally in the sun?

No need to cover them. Just put them in full sun and enjoy. If you cover them and put them in the sun, you will end up with VFT crispy critters. Make sure they sit in a tray or dish that will hold about an inch or so of water. This helps to make sure they don't dry out. Use rainwater, distilled water or R.O. when you water. They need very soft water. Straight tap water will eventually kill them.

ok thanks a lot

im also wondering

what are the clear signs that a VFT is dying?
cause I had to repot all three of mine since my brother knocked them over and broke the pot.

ok thanks a lot

im also wondering

what are the clear signs that a VFT is dying?
cause I had to repot all three of mine since my brother knocked them over and broke the pot.

If you see alot of leaves dying and no new ones are being made that is an indication that something is wrong.

Last edited:
If you see alot of leaves dying and no new ones are being made that is an indication that something is wrong.

yeah thats whats happening right now...even the new leaves are turning black now...

is it because its in too much sun?
Its in DIRECT SUNLIGHT and its 83 degree F with 40% Humidity and now its 90 degree F with 20% Humidity.

should I take it out of the sun?

also, where can I find perlite in nature?

The temps should be ok for VFTs. If they are small pots the roots/rhizomes could possibly get cooked. Are they in a tray of water - maybe an inch or so.

If the peat is without fertilizer it should be fine. Usually the Canadian stuff is free of additives.

Perlite is a man-made product - siliceous rock is heated to around 3,000F which expands and the water in it turns to superheated steam creating tiny spaces in the rock. I suppose if the right sort of rock was near a volcano you might find some in nature.

http://perlite.com/faqs.htm

hmm ok so if its not the heat/sun thats killing it, whats wrong with them? THey were fine before the pot broke and I repotted them in a larger pot. Now, almost all the leaves are turning black, even the newer ones and no new shoots have risen. Whats wrong, is it fixable and if so, how long will it take for them to start growing normally and healthy again?

THanks

EDIT: I think it was the sun that was killing it since almost all the old leaves are sunburned and the new leaves all burned and died.

They might just be suffering from shock from the repotting. They should start recovering in a few weeks or so. As long as you're following all growing instructions they should get better.

They might just be suffering from shock from the repotting. They should start recovering in a few weeks or so. As long as you're following all growing instructions they should get better.

dang, it takes that long....alright :-(

Patience, grasshopper! Just wait until dormancy and it's three months without growth!

xvart.

I see...

well one has started to grow again but the traps are still small/tiny compared to the ones im seeing on this site. And I mean so small that the trap size is smaller then a penny, maybe smaller or around the size of a dime. Will these traps stay this size or will they get bigger? and why are they growing such small traps?

Once a trap opens it won't grow anymore. I would give the plant more time to recover from the shock of being transplanted. I'm sure once it's settled in it will start growing normally again.

Once a trap opens it won't grow anymore. I would give the plant more time to recover from the shock of being transplanted. I'm sure once it's settled in it will start growing normally again.

I meant, will the my VFT continue producing these small useless traps? Or will it start producing those nice big traps like eveyone else has and how long will it take?

Is the only reason why you keep these plants because of nice big traps? ask yourself that and make a conclusion really :s

It will recover, a rootshock is very common amongst these and many other plants. It'll take as long as the plant needs

definately! Its always better to use a mixture of mixes rather than a pure thing. peat moss is heavy when hydrated and can compact and not give enough air.

I went to see a big collection near me on Saturday. Everything was potted in 100% pure peat and doing brilliantly.

I use a mix personally, but it goes to show the plants are pretty adaptable.

Yes, I've even seen them growing in clay-like media. Surprised me at first.

Back