What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower Pollinator

Today I spent about 30 minutes watching as a small white butterfly visited my VFT flowers.
I have 80 flower spikes so the actual number of indivudaul flowers is rather large.
Anyway, the butterfly(actually looking more like a moth), seemed to prefer the VFT flowers and completely ignored the other wild flowers growing in the meadow nearby.
Thanks to Mr. butterfly I should have LOTS of seeds.
My question is does anyone know what kind of butterfly this is??
walter

without any pictures or descriptions, that might be hard to do :x

After doing a search it would appear the butterfly in question is
Pieris Rapae, or the common cabbage white butterfly. (The cabbage white traveled from Europe to Quebec, Canada in 1860 on cargo ships. It is now one of the most widespread and common butterflies in North America.)
Anyway, I can attest to the fact that the Peiris Rapae seemed to prefer the VFT flowers
over all other wildflowers in bloom nearby.
What are the other common pollinators of VFT flowers? There are currently two honey bee hives less than 30 feet from my VFT but I seldom see the honey bees visiting the flowers?

Back