User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two “myths” about coloring up traps… Fact or Fiction?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But why? I don't comprehend how less sun = more color. And also, to make it more confusing, this doesn't happen in ever case.

ahhh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2 sounds bogus.
    - NeciFiX

I drink to make others more interesting. bpullin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually coloration in most plants intensifies with more UV light. That's generally why plants grown under grow lights have more coloring in the leaves and flowers. Similar to why UV causes people to tan. Maybe the partially shaded areas block some of the light spectrum which prevents intense coloration and allows UV to get in there and do its thing. I've gotten my worst sunburns on hazy, partially cloudy days. UV rays still get through even though other light rays get blocked.

Hope I didn't ramble too badly.
    We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces
    Singing whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

1-20-13 = The End of an Error.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prevents intense coloration? What? We want intense color!

You'd think we'd be able to cheat and use a UV lamp for 5 minutes a day over our terraria to get good color. Guess not

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joossa View Post
    2) Traps tend to color up more easily if the plant has not had a “meal” in a long time. The red color inside the traps will intensify in color and therefore, increase the chances of attracting an insect to its doom.
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this, but I have read, in a few places, that once a bug has been trapped that trap will no logger "color up" anymore. I'm sure this falls into your "myth" category or bogus information as has been stated here, and since it seems to defy logic, but I thought I would mention it... Maybe it was all just a dream...

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

I drink to make others more interesting. bpullin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this, but I have read, in a few places, that once a bug has been trapped that trap will no logger "color up" anymore. I'm sure this falls into your "myth" category or bogus information as has been stated here, and since it seems to defy logic, but I thought I would mention it... Maybe it was all just a dream...

xvart.
    Man! I just love pseudo-science! Actually xvart, that makes sense. Red is used by the plant to attract flies, right? That whole dead meat thing. If a trap catches dinner, and it isn't red, then maybe there is a chemical signal telling the plant that it doesn't need to be red? Maybe help save its strength. If the trap doesn't catch anything over a certain period of time, then maybe another chemical tells it to create red pigment, so it can attract dinner?

But still, plants grown indoors under lights have some great color. Sooo, is it the lights, or the lack of a regular meal?
    We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces
    Singing whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

1-20-13 = The End of an Error.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bpullin View Post
    Man! I just love pseudo-science! Actually xvart, that makes sense. Red is used by the plant to attract flies, right? That whole dead meat thing. If a trap catches dinner, and it isn't red, then maybe there is a chemical signal telling the plant that it doesn't need to be red? Maybe help save its strength. If the trap doesn't catch anything over a certain period of time, then maybe another chemical tells it to create red pigment, so it can attract dinner?
    This goes back to #2. All my “green” VFTs (Dentes and Typicals) have been outside in full sun since February. None have had a meal since then, and all of them have shown absolutely no significant increase in red throughout the 5 months. In addition, the UV index in my area has frequently gotten to 10+ every day within the last month or so, which is considered extreme…. And still no increase in red.

Like Clint suggested, this is all probably not explained in simple or “easy” terms. I guess it’s a combination of several variables at different times throughout the year. How many variables does it take to color up a trap… the world may never know.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elgecko post is interesting. I find my ones in the greenhouse are coloured well. If you want color, try pine-needles. I heard somewhere that they work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast