User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Two “myths” about coloring up traps… Fact or Fiction?

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OOH! this just struck me: lol!

Consider the following situation:

A VFT in the wild covered by overhanging vegetation needs a better and a more visible way to attract bugs. A VFT out in the open doesn't need it as its pretty visible already. So...this would make sense... buried under dense vegetation = lower light = more colour to attract bugs| WHereas, open in the sun .. able to get all the light it needs = visible enough already.... = why waste on pigment production.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awww...comeon' guys! I thought that was a really good plausible explaination for the colouring. What do you guys think??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But a plant kept covered by vegetation will not colour up!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coloring seems to be a function of the individual plant (genetics) as much as the photoperiod and spectra that the plant receives. Consider the following photo (click thumbnail for larger size):

1. 'Cupped Trap'
    2. 'Sawtooth'
    3. 'Jaws'
    4. Sarracenia 'John's Autumnal Splendor'
    5. Sarracenia 'Hummer's Hammerhead'
    6. Sarracenia 'Dixie Lace'
    7. 'Akai Ryu'
    8. Drosera filiformis ssp filiformis "Florida Giant"
    9. Typical a
    10. Typical b
    11. 'B52' a
    12. 'B52' b
    13. Sarracenia hybrid probably 'Judith Hindle'
    14. Sarracenia hybrid probably 'Judith Hindle'
    15. Drosera anglica
    16. 'B52' c
    17. Sarracenia oreophila "Sand Mountain #2"

Of the VFTs -
    1, 9 & 10 ('Cupped Trap', Typical #1 & #2) have been getting afternoon sun outdoors since Feb. As you can see #9 (Typical a) is almost devoid of red.
    2, 11 & 12 ('Sawtooth, 'B52' a, & 'B52' c) have been getting the same sun since the middle of April. The difference between the two 'B52's (a) & (b) is that (b) was under an eight tube T5 SunLeaves fixture for two months longer (18 hour photo period).
    #16 ('B52' c) has been outside since May.

As you can see there is quite a bit of difference in the two typicals growing side by side in the same light.

The traps on #12 ('B52' b) start out with red only on the inside but eventually color up completely maroon on the inside and outside. #11 ('B52' a) has not shown this coloring. They should be genetic clones of the same plant.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
    But a plant kept covered by vegetation will not colour up!
    Which is probably why you are less likely to find them in the wild growing under vegetation. They probably don't seed as well from lack of food.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well...many pics of VFTs in the wild seem to be covered by grass.

Well... this matter keeps getting trecherous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been around here much because my other hobby and schoolwork are demanding most of my time, but I saw something today and I would like to report it.

I have been neglecting my CPs... "good" neglecting though; mainly just swiftly watering and applying the weekly insecticide to the ones that had mealybugs, and not paying much attention to the dying foliage. Anyway, as most of you know now autumn is right around the corner and the sun's intensity is lessening everyday. With that, UV index ratings in my area have gone down significantly (from months of severe ratings to normal in a matter of a week or two).

As I was watering today I noticed that the traps on my 'Big Mouth" seemed quite dark in color. After taking a closer look I saw that the traps had gained a significant amount of red color. I looked at my other VFTs and the same applied. ALL of them have started to gain red!

After all these posts in this topic I don't know what to conclude... Lots of light, a little bit of light, a little bit of shade.... *sigh*
    -Joel from Southern California

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123