User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two “myths” about coloring up traps… Fact or Fiction?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse Two “myths” about coloring up traps… Fact or Fiction?

After reading several sites, care sheets, books, etc. on VFTs I have retained two particular statements about coloring up a VFT’s traps:
    1) Traps tend to color up more easily in fall, as the plant is entering dormancy.
    2) Traps tend to color up more easily if the plant has not had a “meal” in a long time. The red color inside the traps will intensify in color and therefore, increase the chances of attracting an insect to its doom.

In your experience are any of the two statements above true or at least slightly true? I know the genetics of the plant and the amount and type of lighting the plant receives are main factors that determine how well traps will color up, but have any of you noticed that the above factors affect “the red”?

So far, from my experience I can say that statement #2 has not proven to be true in any of my VFTs…
    -Joel from Southern California

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know 1 is true. My B52 shows faded colours in summer,,but close to fall last year...it had the reddest traps

hmm,...2 is a lttle wierd. I noticed that my plants started colouring up once I started feeding them. Basically when I got it..for like 3 -4 months the traps were pretty pale pink. I started feeding them.....those traps died...but the new ones were more intense red. I guess it may have a co-relation of the flytrap trying to be resourceful minimise on the digestive glands if you don't need them?? I don't know.

But yeah,....only recently ..i,e., 1 week ago I fed my old typical a earwig...till then its traps were blood shot red that even bled out to the outer part of the trap making it look like a RED line cultivar.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about #1, but I've noticed my typicals color up more after meals. I noticed early spring when I feed one of my typicals that the fed leaf turned a slightly darker green and the blush eventually spread to the rest of the plant.

According to Henning the spectacular growth with B52s is in the late summer and fall so B52s may not be the best example to judge general coloring patterns due to season.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed #1 to be true.
    I my experience #2 is not true.

As stated genetics seem to have a large outcome to how red the traps become.

Another observation.
    I split up the VFT's in my minibog which gets full sun all day. I had to place many of the extras in an area that gets filtered sunlight instead of direct sunlight all day. Many of the plants in the filtered sunlight have better color to the traps then the ones in full sun.
    I have also noticed this when I have had some as windowsill plants which get very little direct sunlight but very bright indirect sunlight.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Quote Originally Posted by elgecko View Post
    Another observation.
    I split up the VFT's in my minibog which gets full sun all day. I had to place many of the extras in an area that gets filtered sunlight instead of direct sunlight all day. Many of the plants in the filtered sunlight have better color to the traps then the ones in full sun.
    I have also noticed this when I have had some as windowsill plants which get very little direct sunlight but very bright indirect sunlight.
    Interesting... it matches what Bugweed mentioned in the VFT Tanning sticky topic. All of mine are out in full direct sun all day and none of them are showing brilliant red traps. The Typicals and Dente are only slightly pink. Even the Fine Tooth X Red and Big Mouth (which are supposed to color up quite easily) are growing very light red traps. The only one that's red under my conditions is the Red Dragon, but that's expected.

Makes me want to experiment with their growing location.....
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say 1 is try for a few plants, but most look their reddest in late summer.

Number 2 is a nice theory, but there is no evidence of it.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a picture to prove about filtered sunlight coloring VFT's traps better then full sun.

The top picture, in the middle of my minibog I have my Dentate Traps. You will notice that the traps have a slight pink color to them. These are plants that get full sun all day.

The bottom picture shows divisions of the same Dentate Traps plants that are growing in filtered sunlight. These plants show a redder trap, that get less sunlight, not more.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well...I guess colouration is still a very complex response from the plant. However, I would assume that colouration is actually a response to protect itself from being sunburnt. SO basically, a pinkish hue VFT is already in perfect condition. I guess we push them a bit further for the much wanted REDS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast