Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange growtpoints

Sarracenia in another life.... rockstarcobain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NAN is right. My VFT's almost always start a new growing point after flowering. The plants will be fine, and more plentiful. They all look like they need more light, though. Give them that, and they will give you gorgeous reds, pinks, greens. But yea, don't worry about that new growing point. It just means you have a new plant.
    It is better to burn out, than to fade away....

Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=108495

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plants in the above picture look just fine.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol! water can trigger traps. My red dragon has all its traps trying to digest something which isn't in there. i realised that sometimes when I top water...I water over the traps and it triggers it and since water slowly crawls inside the trap, it sometimes triggers the plant to go all the way. All my plant's traps are empty when they just opened and the traps look bad becos of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    lol! water can trigger traps. My red dragon has all its traps trying to digest something which isn't in there. i realised that sometimes when I top water...I water over the traps and it triggers it and since water slowly crawls inside the trap, it sometimes triggers the plant to go all the way. All my plant's traps are empty when they just opened and the traps look bad becos of it.

Maybe try not pouring water directly over the trap? Logic would have it that something like that doesn't happen naturally in the wild. Rain-style watering will not close them, because i have tested the theory not only on smaller traps, but also big-mouth and ryu - none of them snap closed when water is sprayed at them. However, through simple reasoning, i wouldn't ever pour waterfall-style water over the traps, because it will erode the ground formation, and be akin to a finger slithering across the trap.

Avoid top-watering. Go ahead and mist the heck out of it from the top, but don't top-water unless you plan on flushing something out.
    ~The Fallen and Forgotten~

Sarracenia in another life.... rockstarcobain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridetsu View Post
    Maybe try not pouring water directly over the trap? Logic would have it that something like that doesn't happen naturally in the wild. Rain-style watering will not close them, because i have tested the theory not only on smaller traps, but also big-mouth and ryu - none of them snap closed when water is sprayed at them. However, through simple reasoning, i wouldn't ever pour waterfall-style water over the traps, because it will erode the ground formation, and be akin to a finger slithering across the trap.

Avoid top-watering. Go ahead and mist the heck out of it from the top, but don't top-water unless you plan on flushing something out.

Ok, so, not to disagree, with you, but your theory is wrong. In the wild, Flytraps get rained on. And rain CAN trigger traps. Being from the Pacific Northwest, the rain up here isn't as brutal as it can be in N. Carolina. The plant doesn't care if it's your finger, a bug, or rain, if the hairs are triggered twice within 10 seconds, it will shut. Heavier rainfall equals higher chance of rain-triggered trap. I don't top water my flytraps, but it is really a matter of preference. I would never water directly onto the plant, but in the wild, the plants have no choice. Anytime you have a theory, or a problem, think about the plant in it's natural habitat, and that will enlighten you.
    It is better to burn out, than to fade away....

Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=108495

Hort. School dropout X 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with what NAN said about dividing after the plant blooms.
    Take gr8 care since you planted you babies in clay pots to keep them moist. if you see deposits starting tobuild up on the outside of the pots or your plants start to fail. I'll ditch these pots for somethign ceramic or plastic.
    jest my 2 cents.
    Lois
    Every seed that you plant ,doesn't sprout.
    Every seed that sprouts, doesn't make it to maturity.
    Every cutting that you stick doesn't grow roots.
    Every cutting that roots doesn't grow to a small plant.
    Every small plant doesn't reach maturity.

Who needs speelcheck?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12