Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats going wrong

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people even had their vft die on them after they let it flower.
    This is NOT true. If that were true, then we wouldn't have a single plant left in the wild because all the flowering VFTs who haven't had the Scissors Fairy visit for a snip, would be dead.

It takes energy for ALL plants to flower. It does not kill them. It may slightly slow the growth but that's no biggie. Cutting off a flower stalk is a purely personal thing. If you like the flowers, let it go. If you don't want seeds or flowers, cut it off.

Your plants will NOT die if you allow it flower. The source of your problem is most likely something else. Could be spring water. Spring or mineral water is not good water to use. It has a high mineral content. Rain, distilled or R.O. is what you need.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlantAKiss View Post
    This is NOT true. If that were true, then we wouldn't have a single plant left in the wild because all the flowering VFTs who haven't had the Scissors Fairy visit for a snip, would be dead.

It takes energy for ALL plants to flower. It does not kill them. It may slightly slow the growth but that's no biggie. Cutting off a flower stalk is a purely personal thing. If you like the flowers, let it go. If you don't want seeds or flowers, cut it off.

Your plants will NOT die if you allow it flower. The source of your problem is most likely something else. Could be spring water. Spring or mineral water is not good water to use. It has a high mineral content. Rain, distilled or R.O. is what you need.
    Exactly, those people probolly thought and believed their VFT died when it really didnt

If flowering killed plants, then the angiosperm population would be dead
    Instead, the angiosperms are the most diverse and successful plants

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A storebought plant that has been cooped up in a plastic dome, sitting on a shelf, that happens to have a flower stalk will croak when a someone takes it home, opens the dome, and lets it bloom. I know.... I did just that, about 20 years ago. What I am getting at is that an already weakened plant, whose conditions then change some more, will experience that adage of, "the last straw that breaks the camel's back". It's just one more stressor adding to its misery. Now a plant that has gone through a dormancy and being outside in direct sunlight I would trust to flowering!

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on the topic of flowering.... are VFT;s able to self pollinate? can I take pollen from a VFT's anthers....save it...then wait for the stigma to be exposed and then brush it on?? Would it self fertilize??

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are self-fertile but they don't normally self-pollinate. I never saved the pollen, just took a toothpick or something and tranferred the pollen directly.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awww Crap I really wanted seeds, YOU COULD HAVE TOLD ME THAT SOONER, AND NOW TO GET SOME DISTILLED WATER.......Grrrrrrrrrr I BETTER GET ANOTHER FlOWER SOON OR....OR..OR....................................................................

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flowering can tax a VFT in cultivation. Cultivated plants may be stressed from growing in marginal condition and a plant recently bought from the likes of Home Depot may not be in the best of shape.

Look what a second flower stalk did to my 'Cupped Trap' in this post.

Here's the same plant as of a few minutes ago (clickable thumbnail - flower stalks #3, #4 and #5 still present):

It hasn't been the same since it flowered the second time, only about half the size. The two long leaves grew right after I clipped the second flower stalk.

I don't recommend letting them flower unless you've had the plant growing well for at least 3-4 months.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your plant is on the weak side, then don't even think of getting seeds. This would further sap strength from an already weak plant. Best to just grow it on until you have an actively growing plant. BTW, I also think you are not using pure water.

Cheers,
    Peter
    Please check my website for photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast