What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft flowering.. again!

rockstarcobain

Sarracenia in another life....
One of my rosettes produced a flower back in spring, pollinated, set seed, the seed germinated. Now, it's sending up another stalk. It just recently started sending up HUGE traps. I don't want the traps to get small again, so should I clip it, or let it flower again.... And I know that a lot of you would say, CUT THE STALK!!!! THE STALK MEANS DEATH!!! But my plants are grown quite vigorously. I know they can survive flowering. I just wanna know if it will cause smaller traps to be made.

I think from what I have read: YES!! it will cause smaller traps...but I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you have a nice strong plant.

yea, I was afraid of that. I figured it would. So now, my choice is, let the traps get smaller and make MORE VFT's , or cut it and enjoy my nice, big traps. Hmm... Anyone ever heard of VFT's flowering twice or more in a season?

wow, I guess some plants just can get enough reproductive activities! :-))

And I know that a lot of you would say, CUT THE STALK!!!! THE STALK MEANS DEATH!!!

If you ever see anyone say that, please correct them. That is incorrect. Flowering will not kill your plant. Think about it...there isn't a Scissors Fairy that goes around cutting off all the flowers of wild VFTs so they don't die. Flowering takes plant energy from any type of plant and may cause a slight slow down in growth. Keeping or removing a flower is purely a personal preference.

If you aren't going for seed and don't care about the flowers, take it off.

I just got a VFT a month ago from walmart and its been doing amazing and now it just started a flower stalk.

Should I let it flower or not because I would like seeds but not in exchange for bad health of my first successful VFT.

Uh...did you read my post just above yours? lol

You can also read a topic on flowering VFTs I just pinned at the top of this VFT forum. That should answer any questions you might have. :)

Anyone who wants/likes flowers...let it flower!

Back