Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: accursed green slime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, if it has something to do with the water, i want to have my RO filter traded in, because its supposed to take out the chlorine and any other impurty, and lower the PPM of the water down to 2-5 ppm.
    If its the "black gold" brand horticultural sand i'm using (not rinsing) then i want to change that as well.
    Would having a top layer of sphagnum moss choke that out?
    ~The Fallen and Forgotten~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put some of your sand in water, if the water gets cloudy, there's your culprit. I've heard that a top layer of sand discourages the growth of it, but I haven't tried it out yet.

If you have an R/O filter then you should have a TDS meter to measure and see if your R/O unit is actually working properly.. before you think about trading in your R/O unit, I'd suggest that you get a TDS meter first so you don't have to go through all the trouble of trading it in if it IS working well. Also, make sure your filters don't need changed.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, so i tried the sand thing - filled up a cup full of RO water , poured some sand into it, mixed it up. Its been about half an hour, and its rather white and cloudy. Holding it up to a light, its got both white, yellow, and green sediment free-floating, so i guess its the sand!

I've been using "Black gold" brand sand.. guess i won't be doing that anymore. Grrr... thought it was a good thing to do. I'll look for a different sand then.. any suggestions?

Just bought a TDS meter - one didn't come with my RO unit.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Silica sand from a sand blasting or pool/spa supply place or play sand from Home Depot or the like. If your Home Depot rents sand blasters they may have silica sand for them too.

You should rinse it nonetheless so you may not gain anything other than different color and size grains.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

green slime

You can also try using aquarium gravel on the surface of your soil. I use it on my indoor plants that don't get as much air circulation as my outdoor plants(the darker colored gravel works best). The thin layer of gravel does not retain water, therefore no mold grows on the surface. Underneath the gravel the soil stays moist, but it doesn't receive light, thus the mold doesn't grow underneath the gravel. Just remember to rinse the gravel before placing on top of the plants.
    there is a pleasure in being mad, which only a madman can enjoy!

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you just rinse out the sand you have to clean it? If it works for peat moss it should work for sand. Many growers rinse all their medias before use for that reason.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how should i go about washing the sand?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slime and unwanted mosses appear, no matter how clean the media or pure the water is. I would just rinse all media throroughly and use distilled water and when unwanted greenery eventually appear - just manually remove it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12