Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: accursed green slime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

accursed green slime

Okay, so, the green slime that builds up on the soil surface is because of minerals found in the water, non?
    Well i called EWEB (Eugene Water and Electric Board) and found out that the total PPM of their water supply is 54 PPM, which is really good. On top of that, i have been using an RO filter for nearly 2 weeks now.

The seeds i got from a friend of mine have only gone through one rain shower, and i have kept them watered with water from only the RO filter.
    It STILL manages to get that green slime all over the surface... but its not so much slime as it is just a green coloration.
    On top of that, some of my new plants, which i recently potted, are also getting green on their soil surfaces.
    Is there no getting away from this stuff?!
    ~The Fallen and Forgotten~

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mineral content and algae growth may or may not be a myth, otherwise why does one pot get slime on top and not another when the potting mix is from the same batch and they are watered from the same can at the same time?

Life will find a way so there is no way to get away from it. The cure would be worse than the disease.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I would expect slime to grow more when you use cleaner water with less PPM, because tap water contains substances such as chlorine which kill off organisms. However, I'm not sure if these cancel out the minerals that algae would like.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tap water often contains viable algae spores not killed by the chlorine which is part of the reason why a jar of tap water will start growing green slime once the chlorine has dissipated.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should not be using chlorinated water in the first place. If your tap is chlorinated but otherwise suitable, let it out gas before you use it.

I only have a problem with slime algae when I'm in a pinch, have to leave town and use normal well water because I don't have time to make RO water. The water has zero NPK, but has a high TDS and a moderate GH, with a low KH, which leads me to believe that yes, the algae can use minerals without and macro's for growth, within reason at least.

When I resume normal RO watering (after a heavy flushing) it goes away within a short period of time by its self (about a week) then there are no more traces until I get lazy and don't make time to make RO. If you fertilize, even foliarly, I highly recommend you get in the habit of flushing the media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My baby VFTs are experiencing excessive algae/mold. I do not believe it is the tap water. It's probably all the spores floating around...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the nutrients in the water have anything to do with it. I use distilled water and I get the green slime all the time. I don't think it hurts anything that's big enough to outgrow it..

I would suspect that the sand I use is what causes it. I don't rinse my sand because I'm too lazy and it takes like 40 rinses to get clean..
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something doesn't come from nothing. It's either in the water, already in the media, or an impurity leeching out from the sand.

It's nothing to worry about. It's just ugly and if you're like me, you don't want it at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast