What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flytraps in pots and winter

I currently have all my sarrs and flytraps in a bog garden but since i want more and there is no more room in the bog, i want to grow some flytraps and sarrs in pots. My concern is once winter hits, i am in zone 7, can i just move those pots into my garage until spring? This seems like a good idea to me since it will protect from frost(unheated garage) and since i mulch my plants in the bog its not like they get any light anyway.

Thanks

That or mulch them, but they do go into dormacy which protects them from winter, VFT can survive snow in the winter, you should be fine :boogie:

Here's what I do: I keep my temperate plants in plastic buckets, minibog style. When Novemberish arrives and the temps are projected to be below freezing, I tote the buckets to the attic and place at a south window. I water them sparingly and keep exposed to the air and sunlight coming through the window. When late February arrives, one by one, the plants begin waking up, responding to the increased photoperiod and relatively warming temps. No need for a fridge or baggies or fungicide. BTW, I live in the Buffalo, NY Metro area.

Back