Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New to VFT-ing?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leave the dome on until they sprout. You can leave it on until you have 3 or 4 leaves on the plants. Then just lift it up and move it a bit so there's a slight opening and just make the opening bigger and bigger over a week or two. After that you want to put the plants so they get a lot of sunlight. The more the better.

Many people sprout them without stratifying their VFT seeds in the fridge. It's up to you.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well if i dont stratify them, will i have puny plants or anything

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In nature the plants have a cool period where the plants go dormant. During that time, the seeds lie and wait (stratification) for the warm season to come back so they know it is time to sprout. If they sprouted as soon as they fell, they would not have time to grow up and store energy for the winter, so they would likely die. So this is you, giving the seeds the signal that it is winter, when you take them out of the fridge that is you telling the seeds it is spring, so they'll sprout.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not winter tho hah, its spring, so should i leave them uncoverd, because by the time they are done stratisfying, they will go dormant any way wont they>

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is a chance the seeds will just sit there and wait for the cool period. And there is a chance (as not a number stated) that they will (or some will) go ahead and grow. It's a gamble. If you are going to grow inside under lights, it doesn't matter what outside the season actually is (since you will control photo period and temps). If you want to grow them outside, then sure, it could matter and may pay off to go ahead and treat them as if they already had dormancy. If some grow and some down, the others may sprout next spring after the cold period.
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well as you can see im gonna keep my junk-in-a-box inside, probly in my room, so it will get sun light, what would you do

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, if I had seeds to grow of Venus flytrap, and I got them today. I probably would go ahead and stratify them, but plan on controlling their grow environment by having them inside where I can keep them warm over winter, and keep them on artificial light so I could give them longer photo period. Give them an extended growing season (through next year) and put them dormant at the "normal" time.

Otherwise, I would have put them in the fridge DRY for storage... And potted them up as winter comes for the normal stratification period so they can sprout on their own come spring.

It's already the end of July, the plants typically go dormant around Thanksgiving (depending on your location, mine stay awake longer than that). If they sprouted now and put on natural sun/temps (as the window will likely be close to what outside is) the plants are likely not to make it to next year IMHO.
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im not going to be making a buisness out of it or anything, its just something to do over the summer up here in vermont. The winters are really cold, so they will probly go dormant by next week. (joking) But I think im just gonna leave them on my desk, and see if they bloom.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast