What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intense Stink

I have been growing a flytrap among other things for awhile. I watered it recently from the top just to flush the pot a bit in case any salts had built up. When I did, the water that came out the bottom smelled truly awful, like a sulfurous smell with a hint of something I can't put my nose on.

Anyone else had this experience? The plant has been very healthy, so I'm not concerned, just a bit baffled.

That's Hydrogen sulfide and it means that the bottom of your pot is starved of oxygen. It's a byproduct of anaerobes (and flammable!) Change the media and don't let it sit in stagnant water.

Thanks for that... I think it may have something to do with the overheating this plant got a while back that did it some harm and may have fried the media.

You naturally get that with peat. Nothing to worry about.

case any salts had built up

If you are watering with pure water (rain, distilled or RO), you should not have any salts deposits. ???

You can get a smell if a plant sits in stagnant water for a long time. Keep the water fresh and you shouldn't have that smell.

I try to let water trays go dry for a day at least once per week. That, combined with the airy LFS/sponge rock mixes I use, means any stink coming from my CPs is from their feeding habits, not from their living space.

Back