Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about repotting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about repotting

I got my VFT about a month ago or so and for a while it wasn't doing so well. Since giving it more sun and distilled water it's been getting stronger and looking healthier by the day. It ate a pill bug 7 days ago and it's still digesting it. I've read both good and bad about them eating pill bugs. Also, yesterday evening, it caught a fly. I then noticed last night that it really outgrowing the little pot it came in . . . literally. Out of one of the holes in the bottom of said plastic pot there is a root (stretched out it is nearly an inch long) coming out and starting to curl around the pot slightly. I guess the good thing is that it isn't rotted, but I haven't read anything like/about this on here. My question is: Would repotting it now be alright right now, I mean with it digesting two bugs and all and being a pretty young plant? I heard they can go into shock when repotted. It just came out of shock from being in that lame store just a couple of weeks ago and is just starting to really grow fast. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I like plants.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd wait. If it's growing well and recovering then the plant is in stable conditions. Plants can be a little root bound. Growth will significantly slow down and almost stop in a couple months anyway, so the best bet might be to just wait until right before the growing season next year to repot. Plus, just let it recover and get some more strength so if it goes into dormancy it has energy saved instead expended on root development and establishment.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My favorite trick for this (usually needed on Sarracenia) I just tip the pot upside down, and uproot the plant in my hand, take the pot off just far enough for the roots to come through, then reset it in the pot. You would want to be very careful not to break the media ball though, or else you'll be right in that "need to repot" spot anyway.

Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I'll probably just leave it alone until both meals are taken care of and then try that.
    I like plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the plant outside? There is no need to feed a VFT.
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is outside sometimes. I live in a small apartment on the second floor and have no balcony, so I can't really put it outside. However, it was outside when it caught both insects. I was at a friend's house and had brought my plant. Both times I was there with it and it was outside it caught insects. I didn't feed it.
    I like plants.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well....when I had repotted my plants: a complete repot. It took like 1 month for them to resume growth. I had done an extensive wash of their roots and so on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    I'd wait. If it's growing well and recovering then the plant is in stable conditions. Plants can be a little root bound. Growth will significantly slow down and almost stop in a couple months anyway, so the best bet might be to just wait until right before the growing season next year to repot. Plus, just let it recover and get some more strength so if it goes into dormancy it has energy saved instead expended on root development and establishment.

xvart.
    I agree. flytrap's root are very sensitive.
    If there is no necessity, better don't move them.

Welcome to Duckking Blog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast