What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pot 'o Flytraps

go for it, reg. On top of that, tear apart a couple rhizomes. I would do it a touch closer to spring though. Check out another thread on here about how someone turned just a couple VFTS into 40 something.

I find that they are tough as nails. Last winter I took my biggest VFT, cut the rhizome in half or so. The part that had the original leaves kept going ok, just a little smaller, and the other half of the rhizome turned into a rather sizable clump.

I'd show you a pic... but I just repotted everything to it's all spread out now.

@reg, I used to be like that too. lol! now...I just pull up my vft's without too much thinking and just stick em in new media. Within weeks, they start growing again. The fastest recovery of repotting was my large cuttings which started growing only 4 days after repotting. :p

Thanks. Though to be honest, I wasnt talking about my VFTs (though I'm needing to repot them, but they aint clumps), instead I was talking about my Sarracenia. And why closer to spring? I thought that the best time to repot was during winter dormancy.

The closer to the end of dormancy the less the chance of the "wound" developing mold or fungus. Dividing a plant during active growth can sometimes put the growth back several weeks or even up to a year.

Okay. Which month would you suggest I do all the repotting?

hehe thats a different story. you can repot really anytime. divide and conquer in feb or march or so.

Also, don't forget that there is a difference between diving rhizomes and just separating offshoots which are their own little plant.

Recent shot of the pot

01890016.jpg

Nice cluster of beauty you got going there . I sure hope you got enough flies/bugs in your neighborhood for their sake

I see they're coming along nicely! :)

Back