What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vft roots and dormancy

Do vft's keep the same root system ( if not disturbed) after dormancy or do they start with new roots in spring.???

same roots in the spring.
but new ones will grow each year.

I treat my VFT's like perennial garden plants..
cut off everything growing above the surface every fall, leaving only green stumps.
roots remain undisturbed.
after dormancy, new leaves grow from the "old" rhizome and roots.

Scot

^Couldn't have said it better myself, Scot. :)

Nice seeing you on the forums again, BTW.

So, replanting (desturbing the root system) in late winter - early spring will have some negitive effect on spring growth.

So, replanting (desturbing the root system) in late winter - early spring will have some negitive effect on spring growth.
No, not really. In my experience repotting causes little to no damage/stress to a VFT. As long as you are gentile with the roots and don’t let the rhizome/roots dry out while you prepare your pot, the plant should not suffer from major stress, no matter what time of the year you repot.

I think most people recommend repotting during the start or end of dormancy because it minimizes the chance of the plant producing any deformed foliage due to the stress (if there is any to begin with). Because the plant is already dormant (or going dormant), it will most likely not have the chance of growing stressed traps. Therefore, it is convenient to repot during those times instead of in the growing season so your plant does not show stressed foliage.

Hope this doesn’t confuse you even more. LOL :)

same roots in the spring.
but new ones will grow each year.

I treat my VFT's like perennial garden plants..
cut off everything growing above the surface every fall, leaving only green stumps.
roots remain undisturbed.
after dormancy, new leaves grow from the "old" rhizome and roots.

Scot

And some people like to cut off all that which is dead and give the plants a head start on photosynthesis when they wake up. Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but that's what I do.

^Couldn't have said it better myself, Scot. :)

Nice seeing you on the forums again, BTW.

thanks! :beer:
yeah, I havent been on-line much in the last couple years..
been busy getting married and buying a house!
but I have all my plants in new mini-bogs, and made a cool new rain collector this spring,
I want to take some pics soon, and a little description of it, and pop it on the forum here..
I will try to do that before the first frost..

And some people like to cut off all that which is dead and give the plants a head start on photosynthesis when they wake up. Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but that's what I do.

yeah, I should mention its not *necessary* to chop off all the leaves!
I just do it because it makes winter storage easier (I wrap the pots in plastic)
and it gives less material for mold to grow on..
but leaving on the leaves all winter can be fine too..and might give the plants a "head start" in the spring, because they already have leaves when they come out of dormancy.
but in my experience, the plants do fine every spring "starting from scratch"..
no complaints..

Scot

Back