What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

digestiog really fast?

How come sometimes when my plant catched a bug it'll open back up only after like 2 or 3 days and then sometimes it'll open up after a week or more. Just the other day i found a small spider in my house so instead of killing it i fed it to the VFT. It closed up properly on the spider and the spider moved around a bit making the trap close completely. But only after I think it was 3 days the trap is open again. Did it just not like the spider or what?

On another note, the plant caught 3 other bugs by itself today. I was pretty impressed...

Well I am not as experienced as other people here, but I have noticed that the smaller the bug the shorter the digestion period.

Well I am not as experienced as other people here, but I have noticed that the smaller the bug the shorter the digestion period.

Sounds logical to me.

xvart.

Sounds logical to me.

xvart.
Ditto!

Also, I believe that the age of the trap might also affect the length of digestion. I have had an old trap on a plant catch a fly and take over two weeks to digest. Also, some old traps seem to begin digestion and after some time they turn black and die off instead of reopening.

Hm.. well it was a fairly new trap and the spider wasn't very big. So i guess that all contributed to a really fast meal.

Back