What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sphagnum moss only

Can i repot the muscipula in sphagnum moss only? I keep reading that i want a perlite/moss mix but my local home depot doesn't seem to carry plain perlite stuff, they only have it with miracle grow in it. I found the moss but that's it so far. I want to replant the VFT because i think when i was gone people might have waerted the plant with tap water and not the distilled so it's kinda wigging it out. I was thinking a repot would be good for it along with a nice rinse.

You can pot them in pure live Sphagnum, pure LFS, pure peat. Or mixtures of the former with sand or perlite. BobZ has been growing his VFTs in pure peat for a number of years and anybody who has gotten VFTs from him can vouch for how healthy they are.

Just pay attention to your watering as pure LFS or peat will retain more water then a mix. Overly wet conditions can sometimes lead to root rot.

Personally, I think they do well with a mix of sand and peat, with a layer of LFS on top.

Pure LFS works for me... I've done it a few times for one reason or another. Specifically in non drained containers.

'Big mouth'
bigmouth.JPG

D. capensis and VFT typical:
capvftcap.jpg

and some typicals...
junkvft.jpg

I think it all comes down to watching your plants. I fill mine up with water, then not water again till I observe the media is drying (to keep the center stuff from decaying) I have now torn apart the 3rd bucket and transplanted all the plants out. They grew in there for almost 3 years with no problems. But looking at the media, I don't think I'd go longer than that :)

Andrew

I've got mine in a mix of crap I had lying around and they are doing great. Lets see.... fir bark, charcoal, perlite, peat, lfs, sand, baked-clay pieces and Styrofoam peanuts with LFS on top.

All in a big tub. It's like a media fruitcake.

hahaha- media fruitcake... I LOVE IT! You should coin that :-))

Back