What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy?

I got my VFT from walmart in early July/Late June and its been growing great outdoors in full sun Zone 7. Now im at college and its growing indoors with artifical lights but still growing strong. So the question is, should I put this plant through a dormancy period or just keep feeding it tons of light since I got it a few months ago.

And, what if I bought another VFT now? Would I let it grow or put it into dormancy?

It's always best to give them dormancy at the right time or else things get complicated.

All VFTs can have dormancy straight away - even if they've just been tissue cultured, or they're seedlings a couple of months old.

Ok sounds good, about how many hours of light do VFTs need in the winter during their dormancy?

Does 3-6 hours sound about right?

I put mine at the attic window sill and let "nature" dictate the photoperiod.

The same amount of light you see in winter is needed, so 6 - 8 hours.

6-8 hours is fine..

but, another option.
my plants get a winter dormancy that is at the cold end of the dormancy temp specrum.
35-40 degrees F. (I used to keep them in the refrigrator!)
at that low temp, the plants do not grow at all, and thus need zero light.
in fact, my plants are in pitch darkness for 3 solid months every winter..they always do fine.
but you want COLD temps if you are going to go that route..
on a windowsill with temps in the 40's or 50's, you want some light.

Scot

Below 6C, most plants can't photosynthesise, so being kept in the dark when it's colder than that might have no ill effect.

Zone 7 should be okay in a cool windowsill or something... zone 8 is their native range right? I have NO clue why you're growing it inside under lights costing you cash from the electricity and the lights themselves when Zone 7 is beautiful for an outdoor VFT... hell, mine are doing great out in zone 5!

Below 6C, most plants can't photosynthesise, so being kept in the dark when it's colder than that might have no ill effect.

I would like to build upon that by saying:

Below 6C, most plants can't photosynthesise, so for VFTs and Sarracenia, being kept in the dark when it's colder than that WILL have no ill effect.

I have been doing dormancy that way every winter for 14 years..plants are always fine.

thanks,
Scot

alright awesome, so what the temp for most fridges usually?

Most fridges around 4-6 C. Whatever works best for you....

Back