User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what if i feed this to a venus flytrap?

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wasp was probably too big for the trap. People who feed their flytraps usually try to keep the food roughly a third the size of the trap. Either that or it has opened and closed a few times and that trap has reached the end of it's lifespan.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either that or it doesn't like home cooking...

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2410.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously! You should NOT be focusing on feeding! You didn't even read enough about them to know you're not supposed to feed them bacon. Read www.Sarracenia.com, outside is the best place for the plant. It's probably already suffered from Wal-Mart and since you haven't read in depth it'll probably die. I may seem like a negative person but...

If you can give it good light (good light to you = horrible for them, extremely bright annoying light for you = good to them), good water (distilled or R/O, no tap water) and good soil (the medium it came in is good) no fertilizer then you can think about feeding. Small ants will work, spiders (not as big as the trap though! A daddy long leg works good for my once-dying-Wal-Mart VFT's, now they're safe), flies (if you can catch one or kill one with a flyswatter and put the carcass in the trap, then once it's in, completely closed around it, lightly squeeze the trap together multiple times, hint, lightly, this will trigger digestion), caterpillars work too, but, they will occasionally chew through the trap, unless you want to risk it you best injure it before putting it in.

If you simply put your VFT outside and keep it well-watered in a very sunny spot it will require minimal care, just watering. It will catch it's own food, if you have it in a windowsill or something it will become quite burnt and crispy, but mine recover from this, or you could slowly acclimate it from outside-bright shade, to partial sun, to full sun. May burn a little but not as much as if you just stick it out there! I am not a patient person so I just stick mine out there, and they recover quite quickly so I don't worry.
    - NeciFiX

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeciFiX View Post
    it'll probably die.
    I seriously doubt it's going to die. Even feeding a bacon bit to a plant (which wasn't successful, mind you) will not kill the plant. It will kill the trap; but the plant will still survive. Someone just needs to calm down a little bit...

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeciFiX View Post
    Seriously! You should NOT be focusing on feeding! You didn't even read enough about them to know you're not supposed to feed them bacon. Read www.Sarracenia.com, outside is the best place for the plant. It's probably already suffered from Wal-Mart and since you haven't read in depth it'll probably die. I may seem like a negative person but...

If you can give it good light (good light to you = horrible for them, extremely bright annoying light for you = good to them), good water (distilled or R/O, no tap water) and good soil (the medium it came in is good) no fertilizer then you can think about feeding. Small ants will work, spiders (not as big as the trap though! A daddy long leg works good for my once-dying-Wal-Mart VFT's, now they're safe), flies (if you can catch one or kill one with a flyswatter and put the carcass in the trap, then once it's in, completely closed around it, lightly squeeze the trap together multiple times, hint, lightly, this will trigger digestion), caterpillars work too, but, they will occasionally chew through the trap, unless you want to risk it you best injure it before putting it in.

If you simply put your VFT outside and keep it well-watered in a very sunny spot it will require minimal care, just watering. It will catch it's own food, if you have it in a windowsill or something it will become quite burnt and crispy, but mine recover from this, or you could slowly acclimate it from outside-bright shade, to partial sun, to full sun. May burn a little but not as much as if you just stick it out there! I am not a patient person so I just stick mine out there, and they recover quite quickly so I don't worry.

im growing mine indoors. i just bought another 3 from walmart and the ones i bought have BIG mouths! anyway, i also bought a light fixture that is dedicated to plants, the bulb has that blue/ultraviolet color... but when its lit, it is bright as hell. I also bought a dish and i took all the VFTs out of that container they came in when you buy them at walmart. I have a timer that the light is hooked up to. I have the light on from 8 am to 5 pm. I noticed that some of the other ones i bought from the last few weeks, their mouths are turning red, before they had inadequate sunlight and they were just green and small..

anyway, i have a question, how can i grow them so they will turn out HUGE? And also the humidity, I live in southern california, towards inland... and my city has a lot of trees, especially where i live, so i would assume the humidity of my surroundings is pretty good. Sometimes i feel like its dry though, i keep my VFTs watered minimally as suggested in numerous websites but when i look at them, they look dry, is there something wrong?

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dude....all your questions are answered in the sarracennia.com faq. It has a full Q&A for every VFT question that any newcomer can ask.

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2000.html

Read that. U will find all your questions answered there.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If humidity is a concern buy a hygrometer or a combined thermometer and hygrometer. You can buy them just about anywhere. Pet stores, Home Depot, online, etc.

Or just look in the newspaper in the weather section or use an online source such as:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/mwmap.php?map=la
    http://wwwcimis.water.ca.gov/cimis/data.jsp (registration required, free)
    http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Wea...ation=USSC9702 (enter your zip code in the "enter location" box)

If you're in the Los Angeles area you can grow your VFTs outdoors all year round. There are even a member growing them in the Palmdale/Lancaster desert. Just make sure they have plenty of water.

BTW: a photoperiod of 9 hours is probably less than what they were getting in WalMart is could possibly signal your plants to start dormancy.

Now go do your homework (i.e. suggested reading of Barry's FAQ) and you'll know why these are such amazing plants that require and deserve the best possible cultivation. You'll also learn the basics of how to care for them. We'll be happy to answer any questions you have after that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12