User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what if i feed this to a venus flytrap?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what if i feed this to a venus flytrap?

i just got some flytraps. Im curious to know if i can feed a VFT with its dead relatives?

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .......................UHHHHHHHHHHH........

No... for one, if it's dead it has no nutrition in it and would rot inside the trap most likely. You shouldn't even begin to think about feeding it if you just got it from Wal-Mart. Check out www.Sarracenia.com, feeding it at this stage will speed up it's death, carnivorous plants are MUCH MUCH harder than a little houseplant, and if you treat it like one it'll die very quickly. It has very special needs. Lol, this is actually one of the weirder questions asked. Cannibalism :P
    - NeciFiX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also tried something else last night. You know those bacon pellets you put in salads, i fed it one of those and the next day it spit it out. I was like dang, these things are more human than i thought. Anyhow, these plants are beautiful.

ANd yes, i just got them from Wal Mart. So what should I do, not feed them for a while? Just have them live off of the moist soil? How about taking a live VFT and feeding it it, hence its not rotten?

Cannibalism!!! YEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!... im gonna start calling my VFTs Geffrey Dahmer...
    Last edited by flak88mm; 09-03-2007 at 10:55 PM. Reason: forgot to add a few things

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They won't be beautiful for long if you don't follow the basics for growing these plants. Proper feeding is just one of the basics. Feeding them materials or food stuffs they either will not digest or not adapted to digest is not a good idea. There's no reason not to feed them at this stage as long as you do it properly.

I suggest you do some reading before doing anything else:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=81026
    http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2000.html

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums.

And not to ruin the "mystisism" behind these plants or negate any of their "human characteristics" but the plant probably did not spit out the bacon bit. After closing, the traps open up quickly if they do not sense a moving, living creature inside. When a live bug gets caught it fights to get out which causes the plant to close tighter and start the digestive process.

So since your bacon bit did not move once the trap closed the trap probably reopened over the course of the night and the bacon bit rolled out. That would be my guess.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lets not kill him just yet! but in any case, feeding VFTs is a bit of a dilemma. if they grow in your house, its unlikely that they will ever catch anything on their own. but when we try to feed them, more often then not we do more harm then good.

so here is what i do. when i want to feed my traps i go to the pet store and buy like 40 small crickets. i release all but a few of them into my terrarium to go on their way to their various dooms, but i save a few. break off their big hind legs and throw them in a trap and manually close it by teasing it with a thread or something.

its a bit uh, evil, but it works.

focus more on environment then feeding at this point. that will keep your plant alive.
    if i were ruler of the world, anyone who defined a nepenthene as a "companion plant" to orchids would be fired from a cannon atop mt. kinabalu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put a dead leaf in a trap and it will just reopen a day later as it is not live food.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

I fed my flytrap a dead wasp. What happened was i went outside my patio and didn't realize that wasps where trying to make a home within my screen door. when i opened it, like 7 or 8 of them flew in my house. and i thought, hell yeah. so i was able to catch one of them and instead of killing it, i actually trapped the wasp in a cup, got some paper and lit it on fire, and put it in the cup just enough to burn up the wasp to turn it immobile but still kinda alive. so at the end, the upper part of the wasp's body was burnt, while the bottom half was still alive. so it was still moving but couldn't fly. so i fed it to my VFT and within a week, my VFT seems like it turned black where the wasps is. Is that color the enzymes from the VFT or is my plant dying?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast