What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FIVE flower stalks all at once?!

Daecon

A Venus Flytrap newbie
I'm sure my Flytrap is showing off, she's started growing 5 flower stalks all at the same time. Two large ones and three smaller ones.

Is this common or a sign of anything specific?

We're just coming into Spring here in New Zealand and she's not been eating any bugs recently as there hasn't been any for her to catch...

My 'Cupped Trap' had three at one time, after it had already put out three one right after the other (with a week or so between). If it's a Tissue Culture plant it could still be under the influence of growth hormones etc.

Get a load of this one (found on BobZ's photo finder):
http://img259.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dionaeamultihampeslk5.jpg

That's nothing unusual, but shows you have a happy plant.

Letting it form 5 pods worth of seed wil tire it out however unfortunately. I always trim off the flower stalks.

I usually let mine flower. If it's doing it narutally, it shouldn't hurt it too bad.

I miscounted, there's a 6th little flower stalk sprouting too.

:D

I've had her for about a year and haven't really been doing anything differently recently, although I can't decide if I should remove some of the stalks or not. Maybe I'll remove the little ones.

What I do is if it's it's 1st time flowering, then cut it, if it's not it's 1st time, let it go...it shouldn't hurt it since it's doing it on it's own

It won't 'hurt', it just takes such a lot of energy that the plants will grow more slowly for a while afterwards.

In the wild nobody cares how big the plant is, but most growers prefer as many traps as possible in cultivation.

Just think of how much seed you will be able to donate to the ICPS seed bank.

xvart.

Alexis, that is tru, but I try to treat my plants as though they were wild, i know that it will never happen, but I personally try to get a close as I possibly can

Over all, it depends on the grower I guess...

No problem with that at all.

Strangely, plants that grow in cultvation often look far better than those in the wild! More pitchers and traps over a season, whereas those in the field often look a bit tatty with less growth. The only downside is that plants in cultivation are more likely to succumb to fungus infection and die inexplicably.

My 'Cupped Trap' had three at one time, after it had already put out three one right after the other (with a week or so between). If it's a Tissue Culture plant it could still be under the influence of growth hormones etc.

Get a load of this one (found on BobZ's photo finder):
http://img259.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dionaeamultihampeslk5.jpg

Good god, ya think that fly trap expended a little bit of energy there? That's like a inch wide piece of pure plant... crazy.

Looks like it's evolving into something else.

Blimey. That's about 2 months worth of tissue surface area growth.

I bet it didn't do much for a few weeks after that.

Were there any follow-up pictures after that one? I would love to see the actual flower(s) on a beast like that.

xvart.

That would make for a pretty sweet pic

Back