Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: fridge OK?

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    Yes! Thanks for finding that, lol. Great thread.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you live?

Light period is more of a factor than temperature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the thing about cinnamon, or so I've heard, is that it is in fact a great fungicide. The problem with cinnamon you get at the supermarket, though, is that it isn't real cinnamon. It's an imitation. Real cinnamon can be bought at specialty spice shops or online, and that's the stuff that works.
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
    Where do you live?

Light period is more of a factor than temperature.
    allegedly light period is more of a factor than temperature..
    we have been through this before..I still dont believe it.
    it just doesnt make sense logically.

I think they are equally important,
    or low temp is slightly more inportant than light period.

because less light + 80 dgrees = not dormant, because of high temps.
    but no decreased photoperiod + 40 degrees = dormant.

yes, ideally you need both, decreased photoperiod and decreased temp.
    but I dont think anyone (including me) has ever proved that one is MORE important than the other..so I dont think "Light period is more of a factor than temperature" is an accurate statement..its simply an unproven opinion.
    as is my opposing theory.
    (although I did prove my theory based on bonsai trees, but not CPs)

Scot

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just LOVE cinnamon, but not for plants. Try neem oil. It's cheap, reliable, and you won't have organic powder everywhere.

True cinnamon quils are multi layered and can be easily crumbled into a powder with a mortar and pestle or coffee grinder, Cassia (a related species that's used in powdered cinnamon found in the US) quills are hard, woody, and are a single layer. It's more like a stick than a series of delicate layers.

Also good in espresso!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But if you keep the plants, uncovered, in the attic, by a window, they remain dormant and fungus-free, with no need of chemicals, and very little maitenance - just the occasional moistening. They wake up in February-March, when both temps and photoperiod increase enough to cue it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    llegedly light period is more of a factor than temperature..
    we have been through this before..I still dont believe it.
    it just doesnt make sense logically.

I think they are equally important,
    or low temp is slightly more inportant than light period.

because less light + 80 dgrees = not dormant, because of high temps.
    but no decreased photoperiod + 40 degrees = dormant.

yes, ideally you need both, decreased photoperiod and decreased temp.
    but I dont think anyone (including me) has ever proved that one is MORE important than the other..so I dont think "Light period is more of a factor than temperature" is an accurate statement..its simply an unproven opinion.
    as is my opposing theory.
    (although I did prove my theory based on bonsai trees, but not CPs)
    Oo, controversial :-)

I think the thinking is that dormancy is not a switch and plants know dormancy is approaching, way before the time comes. Which is obviously why they start growing autumn leaves even though it may be a scorching October.

Remember that it can be pretty hot in the deep south even in winter. The average January high in Alabama is 16C / 61F. And a couple of weeks of 70 are not uncommon, but you don't see plants not getting a dormancy despite this. And it's this which may give my opinion some basis of fact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
    Oo, controversial :-)

I think the thinking is that dormancy is not a switch and plants know dormancy is approaching, way before the time comes. Which is obviously why they start growing autumn leaves even though it may be a scorching October.

Remember that it can be pretty hot in the deep south even in winter. The average January high in Alabama is 16C / 61F. And a couple of weeks of 70 are not uncommon, but you don't see plants not getting a dormancy despite this. And it's this which may give my opinion some basis of fact.
    I agree about the "scorching October" and warm southern winters..
    but even with a "scorching October" the overall trend is toward cooling through August, september, october, november..even if you have a warm spell thrown in there.

My theory is based on an observation of Bonsai trees..
    A few years ago a local garden center was selling some cheap junky bonsai made from Japanese maples..they should have been outside all season, but they had them indoors in a greenhouse with tropical houseplants.

The store usually closes before dark (any time of year) so the greehouse got natural light, even after the "store lights" were turned off for the night..
    (and there arent any "store lights" to speak of in the greenhouse anyway..they arent needed because the roof is glass)

So you have maple trees getting all the natural *light* cues that winter is coming..
    gradually decreasing photoperiod through July-October, same as any plant outdoors, but the trees did NOT get gradually decreasing temperatures! because they were in a tropical greenhouse that was always kept warm..

In January, the trees were still in leaf..they never went fully dormant and dropped their leaves like a tree outdoors would.

Tree outside - decreased temp and decreased photoperiod = fully dormant in January.
    same tree inside - NO decreased temp but decreased photoperiod = not dormant.

my conclusion - decreased temp is more inportant than decreased photoperiod.
    the decreasing photoperiod might trigger the slow gradual process of dormancy, beginning with the summer solstice in late June..
    but if the temps dont ALSO decrease but stay continouly warm, the plant is confused and wont enter dormancy, because its just too warm..

even southern CPs get a cooler winter, even if its not *really* cold..
    the temp does gradually decrease with the photoperiod.

That why I think its a bad idea to grow CP's (VFT's and Sarrs) in terrariums indoors..
    you can control the photoperiod easy enough with a timer, but you cant easily control a gradually decreasing temp from July-October to give them a proper dormancy by November..

outdoors is the way to go..nature provides both the decreasing photoperiod AND he decreasing temps..which IMO are both essential..

Scot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast