Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: fridge OK?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I agree with you that some sort of drop in temperature is required, otherwise it would be pretty much impossible to prevent dormancy at all.

The question is, if you gave a plant 16 hours of sun but the temperature was 50F, what would happen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
    Yep, I agree with you that some sort of drop in temperature is required, otherwise it would be pretty much impossible to prevent dormancy at all.

The question is, if you gave a plant 16 hours of sun but the temperature was 50F, what would happen?
    hmmm..I dont know!
    but I suspect it still wont go fully dormant, because of the steady light.

what we need is a controlled experiment!
    lets see..

four VFTs should do it.
    I could maybe try it next year!
    I have three large bogs with about 40 VFT's that have been growing happily together for many years now, I think its safe to say they are all on the same dormancy timeline.

Next Feburary, as plants are coming out of dormancy, re-pot 4 VFT's into individual pots, keep them together (same conditions) until June.

Experiment starts June 1, before the summer solstice arrives and photoperiod begins to decrease.

VFT #1 - the control, stays outdoors, gets natural photoperiod and temps.

VFT #2 - "Artificial High Temp, natural photoperiod" plant. goes in a south-facing window indoors. (I have the perfect room, that is almost never lit in the evenings)
    this plant will get steadily decreasing natural photoperiod, but will stay at a fairly constant temp. it will even get the same direct sun as the outdoor plants.
    but it will be cooled in the summer and heated in the autumn/winter along with the indoor air for humans..staying a more-or-less constant 65-75 degrees.

VFT #3 - "Artificial Constant Light, natural temp" plant..this one will be the most difficult to set up..
    It will need to remain outdoors, so it gets the naturally decreasing temps, but it will need an artificial light source, so its lighting is constant and does not decrease with the naturally decreasing photoperiod. Where to keep this plant is a concern..
    I have an unheated shed in the backyard, which in theory will have rising and falling temps along with the outdoor temps, but it will be TOO hot in the summer..I cant leave the shed door open 24/7 for 6 months..Maybe I could keep this plant on the deck, with some kind of rain-tent over it to protect the lamp..hmmm..I will have to think about that one.

VFT #4 - "Bright and Hot" plant...gets constant steady temp (same as VFT #2) but also gets constant bright light! same as VFT #3..
    that one is also easy to set up...just indoors under a unchanging photoperiod light.

Its not a perfect experiment, because the artificial light wont be the same intensity as sunlight, but its not bad!
    then the question will be, which plants are still growing the following January?

anyone see any flaws in that experiment?

Scot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Near the equator here, we grow our VFTs in full sun for years without providing dormancy. If a plant does slow down its growth and produce smaller and smaller leaves, the pot is removed and kept dry in a shady place. After a couple of weeks, watering is increased and often, repotting helps to give the plant a jump start to start growing again.
    Cindy

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! See whatcha started.... rekindled?! Atkins vs. Ornisch! Trust me, they both know what they are talking about. Relax... bring some popcorn and your favorite beverage...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    But if you keep the plants, uncovered, in the attic, by a window, they remain dormant and fungus-free, with no need of chemicals, and very little maitenance - just the occasional moistening. They wake up in February-March, when both temps and photoperiod increase enough to cue it.
    Don't have an attic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My VFTS and Sarrs go in the fridge once outside temps get around 40 F. Usually by November here. You could take it out of it's water tray, place it in a zip lock bag and put in the fridge. I remove my Sarrs from their soil, clean them off a little, wrap some moist long fibered sphag moss around the roots, place in a zip lock bag and in the fridge they go.

Tom
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what do you do to take them out of the fridge? d oyou have to acclimate them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyfrye View Post
    what do you do to take them out of the fridge? d oyou have to acclimate them?
    I just take them out and put them in a sunny south and west window, adjust them slowly to increasing levels of light. A sheer curtain first the full open.
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123