Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fridge OK?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation fridge OK?

I have a venus flytrap and it doesn't get cold enough here for outside dormancy. (in winter, Rarely drops below 60) I don't know if it is OK to put them in the fridge, and if so, for how long?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can hibernate them in a fridge. Just hibernate for 4 or so months. I usually do November to February. Just make sure you watch them every now and then and make sure theres no rot. Keep them in a ziploc bag or something to keep the plants moist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How?

How do you treat rotting? I read once that cinnamon is a good natural fungicide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't keep the plants wet, just moist and stick 'em in a ziplock bag. You could treat with a fungicide prior to bagging them up, something like Safer's Defender would be safe for VFTs. Also, cut off all dead material right down to the media before sticking them in the fridge for 3 to 4 months. Take a look at your plants every week or two, at the sight of fungus, scoop it off with a spoon and treat again with fungicide - they key is to keep them just moist and not sopping wet and you'll be fine --> remember, wet + dark + cold = fungus.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's tons of posts about grower's various experiences with fridge dormancy. Check out the search function. There is a great post somewhere on here that documents with photos (which may have outdated links these days) a member's fridge experience; but, I'm having trouble locating it; but just think of all the information you will come across while you look for it!

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyfrye View Post
    How do you treat rotting? I read once that cinnamon is a good natural fungicide.
    Cinnamon is good for treating fungus but is not very good for preventing it. The oils that give it its fungicidal abilities are volatile and evaporate over time. I don't know how well it would work for treating rot though.
    The best way I have found for preventing fungus problems is to do like rice_smuggler suggested. I don't like using fungucides as a preventative treatment as this will eventually lead to strains of fungus resistant to that fungicide.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    60 is daytime low or night time? Our days only get to about that.. nights in the 40s and 50s mostly, and my plants go dormant just fine. Right now the temps are about 75 night and 95 day and some D. filiformis is forming hibernecula already.

Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    There's tons of posts about grower's various experiences with fridge dormancy. Check out the search function. There is a great post somewhere on here that documents with photos (which may have outdated links these days) a member's fridge experience; but, I'm having trouble locating it; but just think of all the information you will come across while you look for it!

xvart.
    Is this it?

fridge dormancy:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=95809

Sorry there are still dead photo links, I started to restore the first ones after the PFT photo hosting went away, but I still havent restored them all..

If Mythbusters did a segment on "does cinnamon prevent fungus for dormant carnivorous plants?" it would end up "totally busted"..

I tried it one winter years ago..it did absolutely nothing.

Scot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast