Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zach's Newbie Thread

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah....if its easy to find silica sand....go for it...go for a big grain size though....however personally its hard to find that sand here..so perlite is the thing available.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can always put LFS as a top dressing to keep the perlite down.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10/30/07 Pics

Hey guys, took a few update pictures. After all the mess ups, 4 plants survived. I took xvarts advice and added some dead LFS to the top to keep the perlite down and the moisture up.

This is the largest one and is showing lots of new growth, even though it is late October.

This one is the second largest and is showing tons of new growth around the base, although the new leaves are not as advanced in growth as the first ones are.

This plant is somewhere in the middle and has a couple new leaves growing from the bottom.

This is the smallest one, you can hardly see it because my camera sucks. There is one larger trap leaf as well as a couple tiny ones you can't even make out in the picture.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, but you get the idea.

All of the solo cups they are in were in about an inch of water at the bottoms to keep the soil moist in the hot Florida sun. Recently, with the temperature and photoperiod decreasing, I took the water out and they are receiving waterings when needed while they prepare for dormancy.

Please hit me with any questions or advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congratulations! they looks like more and more well.

give they more sun, and keep going.

Welcome to Duckking Blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watering during XMas time?

These plants are located in Gainesville, FL, where I go to school, but I need to go home for an extended time during the Christmas season. I have heard that during winter its usually best to take out any standing water that the plants are in. I have all of mine in individual solo cups in a small plastic tub that I have about an inch of water in during the summer.

Long story short, I have taken the water out of the tub and am doing daily waterings, or when needed. My question is: should I put some water back in the tub while I'm gone to ensure that they are adequately watered while I'm gone? I'm just nervous about rot and infection.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12