User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How the heck do I repot??? Will he live???

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The forum member called xscd has them growing outside, in hot & dry Arizona. It's acclimation that is the issue.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyfrye View Post
    I grow them inside. It's too hot outside in the summer, it will burn them.
    Average highs in Oxnard/Camarillo Jun/Jul/Aug/Sept are mid-high 70's vs high 80's in Wilmington, North Carolina for the same months. How is it going to fry?

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2460.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    The forum member called xscd has them growing outside, in hot & dry Arizona. It's acclimation that is the issue.
    How do you acclimate them? It's kind of a problem because I am in a condo and we don't have any north or east sun. only south and a little bot o' west. And It is also probably tough to acclimate them from a light to sun.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my VFT's whose roots are almost a foot long. (rough estimate....might be around 10 inches or so)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it should be fine, i was surprised at how hardy the venus fly traps were.

they are cute and hardy!

one major lesson learned while i was a newbie was PATIENCE- once i bought a $5 pot of cute venus fly traps from Walmart, the next day SPLIT THE PLANT INTO 4 sections, and repotted them!!!!

THE PLANT NEARLY DIED AND FRIED in the sun!!!!!! (it has to be "acclimated", especially ones that suffered through *****y dull store lights, the same way fish are acclimated in your tank when you buy them from the fish store, you can not just dump them in the tank, that's like dumping a naked person in an arctic pool, or a hot-tub hahaha)

It fried up and underwent massive sunburn--- i was shocked and sad, and GAVE UP WATERING!! a few weeks later i emptied their soil out to reuse the container----

and found little sproutings of flytraps that had survived the long drought and sunburn process---

i wish i had been more patient...

whoa... i went too deep into this LOL, sorry! bye...

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post

He's in New Mexico. Which I think is a tad cooler and more humid than here (in Arizona) I've tried a few times to aclimated CPs to outside with zero success. But we're talking about 130f summer days and single digit humidity. I think he grew him in an enclosed sun room which would have some climate control and humidity because of all the water sitting around.

-Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A southern exposure is usually ideal as this usually gets the most sunlight all year round. I say usually because it depends on what sort of structures and trees that may be shading the area. If you can provide your plants with at least 4 hours of full sunlight a day they should do fine with good coloring.

Move your plants outside in the late afternoon or in the morning. This will lessen thermal shock as they will warm up or cool down slowly as the outdoor temps rise/fall over several hours naturally.

Place them where they will be shaded most of the day, maybe getting two to four hours of full sunglight a day. You'll have to be creative here, taking advantage of awnings, other plants etc. You might have to provide shade with some large enough object that is sturdy enough
    object sturdy enough to withstand the winds - a trash can for instance. Leafy plants would be ideal.

Over the coarse of a week or two move the plants or cover so that they get more hours of direct sunlight each day up to the max they can get.

If your still afraid of temps check the historical highs of Ventura, CA vs Wilmington, NC:
    http://www.intellicast.com/Local/His...ation=USCA1193
    http://www.intellicast.com/Local/His...ation=USNC0760

Your plants will go dormant. No need to refrigerate them. You may want to bring them indoors if we have another cold snap like back in January but that's it.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    He's in New Mexico. Which I think is a tad cooler and more humid than here (in Arizona) I've tried a few times to aclimated CPs to outside with zero success. But we're talking about 130f summer days and single digit humidity. I think he grew him in an enclosed sun room which would have some climate control and humidity because of all the water sitting around.

-Andrew
    Okay... there' this guy in New Nexico, somewhere in that desert Southwest.... in the land of scorpions and snakes and tumbleweeds and his VFT's had pretty long roots, due to drier conditions than that of North Carolina.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast