User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How the heck do I repot??? Will he live???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation How the heck do I repot??? Will he live???

I have a venus flytrap in a small, 2 1/2 inch pot. I got him about three weeks ago. should I repot him into a bigger prevent to prevent root rot? In the pic, it looks like the center of the plant is black, but it's really just dirt.
    And most of the traps are closed because one is dying, and two are digesting. I have had a couple other venus flytraps for over a year now, but I've never had this problem because thay all came in big pots. So I have never, EVER roppoted a carnivorous plant before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he will be fine, it is just recovering from a repot

it will take 1-2 weeks for it to recover from a repot shock

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah, it looks fine. If I were you, I'd just worry about your plans for dormancy this winter, and repot in the spring. Repotting it now, as it's starting to go dormant, might do more harm than good.

I'm trying to figure out where you got the notion that larger pots will help prevent root rot. I think perhaps you think it is rootbound? VFTs actually don't have very expansive root systems. the rhizome is about the size of a lima bean, and the tap root is a few inches long. that's it. I don't think I've ever heard of a VFT getting root rot.

so, no worries. deep breath in, deep breath out. Figure out what you're going to do for dormancy this winter. In spring, you can give it a big new pot if you'd like.
    -Emily

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pots are like fishtanks. The more gallons/volume you have, the more stability there is, as well as more room to grow. If you have the wherewithal to do so, You can repot into a larger pot or bucket or whiskey barrel or... The thing to do is to first prepare the larger vessel, with a hole or depression in the center. Then coax the entire pot contents out, as one unit, so as to minimize root disturbance. Place the "plug" in the new environs and add water to help fill in gaps.

VFT's characteristically don't have much of a root system, but perhaps that is more a function of how they are cultivated. The forum member called xscd has demonstrated that VFT's can have a somewhat long root system if they are kept on the dry side. Like any plant, the roots naturally dig deeper for moisture. Where it is dryer, there is more incentive to develop longer and wider roots. It is not unlike exercising muscles, or the lack thereof.

Dormancy for a plant out of tissue culture is debatable. Is your plant inside or out? They do grow best when outside, requiring more light than most other CP's, but some people seem to have demonstrated that if they can provide encredible amounts of lumens, the plants grow and color up nicely. Usuaully, that can be done with really goos window sill exposure and artificial lighting. However, there seems to be evidence that indoor growing is good for the short run and that sunsequent growing seasons yield weaker plants. The best scenarios is outdoor growing and a 3 month dormancy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow them inside. It's too hot outside in the summer, it will burn them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They grow fine outside and SHOULD be grown outside, sunlight will only burn them if you don't acclimate them slowly to full sun. They LOVE full Sun.
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But your plants are lightstarved at the moment inside!

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyfrye View Post
    Unless you live on Mercury I doubt that it's too hot.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast