User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: grown inside, outside dormancy? MAN! I have alot o' questions!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    You have an ideal climate for growing them outdoors 24/7/365!
    you should take advantage of that! some of us would love to have your winter climate for our plants!

I just googled climate data for LA, and found this for average temps:

http://www.rssweather.com/climate/Ca...ounty/temp.png

Its a bit on the warm side for VFT and Sarr winter dormancy, but not too bad..
    If you have temps in the 40's and 50's in January, you are pretty well set for winter dormancy.

I would put all your plants outside, in full sunlight, right now, and leave them there for the next several decades..you cant go wrong with that climate!

Scot
    Well, it might seem like that, but it is so dry and arid here that it is really hard to grow them outside. (no humidity at all!) My first venus flytrap ever got killed by the sunlight. I felt the water in the tray, and it was so hot I immediately took mah hand out. Sa as you can see, I have had a pretty bad experience growing them outside. And thanks for the dormancy advice, guys. They will do fine outside during winter. But do my plants look healthy? And i'm not sure what the heck is happening with the sarracenia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your plants could look healthier my fellow Californian. I too, also suggest moving them outside ASAP. I live in the high desert south of Mojave and I grow my VFTs, my temperate dew, and sarrs almost all year long outside. (In fact, they all survived temperatures that got up to 110F in FULL SUN this summer!)

I am willing to bet anything that the average year round humidity in all of Ventura County is much higher than here in Palmdale, in the hot, dry, baking desert. VFTs and sarrs are actually very tolerant of strong sun, low humidity, and high temperatures when acclimated properly.

Now that autumn has begun, the seasonal change will acclimate your plants to the outside for you and after dormancy they will be already set to grow in the beautiful sun!

Good luck!
    -Joel from Southern California

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are quite a few TF members in Ventura County: Noah, Peter, Forbes, and Matthew to name a some. Your CPs will thrive in the Mediterranean climate.

Even down here in Los Angeles dormancy is not a problem for outdoor plants. Your winters if anything are a few degrees colder than where I am.

As long a the plants get a shortened photoperiod and winter temps are lower than summer temps they probably will go dormant.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand outdoor growing / frying completely... trust me! The key to going from indoor to outdoor is acclimating. If you have some sort of porch to put the plants under, for a few weeks, and transition them slowly, then you can successfully get them adjusted to the California sun. If not a porch, then a northeast exposure, or something that givs them a lot of indirect light, initially. Really, VFT's and Sarracenias need to be outside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But do my plants look healthy? And i'm not sure what the heck is happening with the sarracenia.
    I've told you three times now in your numerous threads.

YOUR SARRACENIA IS STARVED OF LIGHT. Hence the weak, leggy growth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just put them outside, Sarrecenia don't need very high humidity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12