Thread: Death of a typical: well...will regenerate though

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Death of a typical: well...will regenerate though

Hey there fellas',

well....Remember my VFTs were struggling for some reason...the big ones. I noticed that the typicals growth point in the center was just rotting from inside out. I was like...hmm....I should take a cutting from the outer leaf. I was then poking around the soil and noticed that teh soil was really COMPACTED....it was very very tightly packed.

So I thought I might as welll take it out..and then I unpotted it. Also reason being is a offshoot which I wanted to keep as an insurance policy if the big ones doesn't make it through dormancy.

well....what do u know...the first time I am seeing a fungus on a VFT corm. Look at that

Well...basically since the past hour, I was chopping it up into pieces salvaging the corm. Well...I didn't want to use the same media...so I am actually trying an experiment.....what happens if I use a bark based media?? its the same thing i used for my ceph. maybe with more peat moss though. I am confident the small offshoots will take.

So there u go...the pot with new media...and body parts of my old typical.

I also want to try VFT growing in pure living sphagnum....so here is the chance.

Sphagnum magellanicum and Sphagnum rubellum half and half to compare growth rates.

BTW...I have a runaway. ;D

it looks like one of the bog plants. I don't know what it is though. Interesting one.

Well...its actually a shame to tear this one apart. The corm was like a big golf ball sized. Unfortunate that my large vft's are going down.

But well..if all of these take....I will not need typical vft's for a long long time considering that many of the cuttings give more than 100% strike rate.

cheers,

vraev

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep my vft media very dry so that the top of the media is dry looking. They seem to like it
    Thus no rot and also keep the growing point(s) above the media

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but as you can see...the growth point burrows in really very very deep. It was like 3 inches down in a six inch pot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where's the fungus on the rhizome? I can't see any

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first and second pic....see the BLACK part with white powdery stuff on it?? thats all fungus mate.