Hey there fellas',
well....Remember my VFTs were struggling for some reason...the big ones. I noticed that the typicals growth point in the center was just rotting from inside out. I was like...hmm....I should take a cutting from the outer leaf. I was then poking around the soil and noticed that teh soil was really COMPACTED....it was very very tightly packed.
So I thought I might as welll take it out..and then I unpotted it. Also reason being is a offshoot which I wanted to keep as an insurance policy if the big ones doesn't make it through dormancy.
well....what do u know...the first time I am seeing a fungus on a VFT corm. Look at that
Well...basically since the past hour, I was chopping it up into pieces salvaging the corm. Well...I didn't want to use the same media...so I am actually trying an experiment.....what happens if I use a bark based media?? its the same thing i used for my ceph. maybe with more peat moss though. I am confident the small offshoots will take.
So there u go...the pot with new media...and body parts of my old typical.
I also want to try VFT growing in pure living sphagnum....so here is the chance.
Sphagnum magellanicum and Sphagnum rubellum half and half to compare growth rates.
BTW...I have a runaway. ;D
it looks like one of the bog plants. I don't know what it is though. Interesting one.
Well...its actually a shame to tear this one apart. The corm was like a big golf ball sized. Unfortunate that my large vft's are going down.
But well..if all of these take....I will not need typical vft's for a long long time considering that many of the cuttings give more than 100% strike rate.