Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a dilemna...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a dilemna...

I have a kind of problem I just realized today. I keep some of my CPs in my room, and I can't move them. And I can't sleep without a fan on.(don't ask) The fan is on a timer for 2 hrs, so after I get to sleep it turns off. My recently aqquired sundews are not making much dew, and my mom says the fan is drying them out.(i'm not sure of that yet) I'm thinking of getting a cold humidifier that makes some noise to replace the fan. That will also probably help the plants, but I will sleep better with the fan. Do you think I should get the humidifier, or just keep the fan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotropism View Post
    I've already read that, and I just think the fan is drying out the sundews and greatly decreasing the humidity. Even the FAQ you linked says "The most common reason for dewless sundews is low humidity". The fan makes lots of air move around in the room, sometimes blowing on the sundews, and probably dries them out. I have a pretty small room, and that just helps the air move around more. And the fan is too big to put in a box, so I can't do that either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even without a fan, sundews will often have trouble producing dew if kept indoors.

A humidifier also isn't a particularly healthy thing to have in the same room that you sleep in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get one of those "white noise" makers. Most of them have built-in timers. I have one and it's set on 'Crickets', helps me sleep.

Your fan might be drying out your dews... Heck, try Barry's bottle terrarium. It worked for me to get recently shipped sundews get over their transplant shock and become nice and dewy again.

http://www.sarracenia.com/photos/other/vario15.jpg
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most common problem with no dew is not enough light.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with xvart... While working on my senior project, I am surprised to find that even some of the more "reputable" online sites (and books!) are still using severely outdated information.

What kind of lighting are you using for these plants? It also can depend on what kind of Drosera you are growing as some can be fussy... (like my adelae... I don't know why).

But light is the biggest factor. I have a fan blowing across my sundews for over 12 hours a day and they still produce dew at ~30% relative humidity. Lumens (yes I know that lumens are just what human eyes can see) are at 6300 combined total and this is the absolute bare minimum I would recommend. My lights are about 8 inches above the plants but should be closer; I just haven't been able to upgrade my setup as of late.

Hope it helps,
    -J.P.
    Trying to rebuild. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Grow/Want List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
    Even without a fan, sundews will often have trouble producing dew if kept indoors.

A humidifier also isn't a particularly healthy thing to have in the same room that you sleep in.
    Sorry, I meant a steamer. My mom has a warm steamer, and there is a variety that cools the air around you instead. It might also be usefull for dormancy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast