What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tracking the growth of my VFT

I have found that if you treat the VFT like a bonsai and grow it in a bonsai pot, it will stay small. If you release it into a big pot... yea he goes kinda crazy for you. This is progress from March - Oct this year.

It's roughly the same time period as my VFT leaf pulling experiment. So if I didnt rip apart that VFT, it might look like this now!

Another one:

This one , I didnt take the first picture. It was already released for 2 months when I took these pictures. So it was smaller before but I have no records.

September:

Tonight:

Looks bigger in September doesnt it? I wonder why too!

Wow! They did go rampant with growth! How deep is that container?

What kind of light do you give it?

I think the depth is probably about five or 6 inches. I just leave it out on the table outdoors. It gets direct sunlight from 3 p.m. until the sun sets. It has been raining a lot these days though and it has been cloudy and overcast so it's not getting as much sun as it used to. There are no holes at the bottom of the container, I just pour additional water into it when I feel like it. Perhaps that's not the best of things to do and I should do something about that.

Wow. Very impressive!:-O

very very very nice man! I always hoped that this summer my VFT's would become like that. Unfortunately the shock trap syndrome struck me 2 times already and there is no hope. Hope my plants survive the dormancy. Then next year I will repot them into better airier media and then wait for the traps to be set. ;)

very very very nice man! I always hoped that this summer my VFT's would become like that. Unfortunately the shock trap syndrome struck me 2 times already and there is no hope. Hope my plants survive the dormancy. Then next year I will repot them into better airier media and then wait for the traps to be set. ;)

I'm using peat + perlite. I hear that some folks use pure sphagnum and have good results. I guess as long as there's enough water flowing from the pot into the plant due to transpiration, and respiration, it doesnt really matter.

Here's a few photos of the grown up VFT. One is growing flat, the other, small hill!

Back