What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Death?Or dormancy.(pics)

ChrisBranleh

Magical Bystander
Top2.jpg

Weather has been around mid 70's to mid high 80's i plan to fridge this lil thang' during this week.

the very center. what color is it?

diddo.
Black = death
Green = ok

I wouldn't do that if I were you.

We have a great climate for flytraps, putting them in the fridge for dormancy is making things more difficult than it has to be. Besides, all my flytraps are still in full growth and yours looks like it really needs to gain some strength before winter sets in. In my opinion, sticking that little guy in the fridge is guaranteed to kill it.

Looks like you have some aphid damage or something going on.

I wouldn't do that if I were you.

We have a great climate for flytraps, putting them in the fridge for dormancy is making things more difficult than it has to be. Besides, all my flytraps are still in full growth and yours looks like it really needs to gain some strength before winter sets in. In my opinion, sticking that little guy in the fridge is guaranteed to kill it.

Yeah, haha.I remember you told me this like 6 times yesterday, but i posted this before.I will definitely let it heal up.

And the middle isn't black, it's just shadows ( i don't use flash with cameras)

Dormancy probably has more to do with photoperiod than cold temps. I wouldn't worry too much about it getting cold (i.e. refrigeration) as I would altering the photoperiod. Also, if its a relatively new plant, its probably just out of TC and could skip its first dormancy.

BTW...I'm moving this to the VFT forum.

Year round temperatures in the 80s and a 12-hour photoperiod do not encourage VFTs to go dormant here when they are grown outdoors. Instead, they produce multiple offshoots.

For some of us with a balcony, the light coming in can vary quite abit throughout the year. Then the VFTs do go dormant but we try "dry domancy" instead because we lose less plants than chucking them in the fridge.

More details here:
http://petpitcher.proboards61.com/index.cgi?board=vft&action=display&thread=1166752209

Here is an update of my VFTs. I took them out of their water dish around mid November and the plants do look better and healthier, and their growth is slowing down. Is this the sign of dormancy? Weather around here has dropped to 60's for a few days, and it's been raining a bit more.Right now i believe it's in the 70's-80's

TotheTop.jpg

Totheleft.jpg

Totheright.jpg

Nice save! Looks like it is in growth mode, with the leaves being narrow and attempting to be erect. Dormant leaves are, short, wide, and decumbent (laing on the media). It still needs to be nursed back to health. Keep it going!

Provide more light if you can. :)

Well i would but i thought since it's that "time of the year" kinda thing, i would leave it in a shadowy area where it can go dormant. I'm scared if i let it get some light, it'll not go dormant and die on me.. :poke:

Back