Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: i'm gonna need some help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm gonna need some help.

today i got my first VenusFlytrap. free. from my email neighbor.
    they gave it to me with no traps on them at all. they cut off everything that turned black so now i only have the base sticking out. its still green but the tip is starting to turn black. i dont even know if its still alive.but when i first got it it doesnt have any traps, but the bottom is still green then the bottom near the root is whiteish. i repotted it in peat moss+perlite(sp?) and i got a clipon table light with 42 Watt Spiral Fluorescent Replacement Bulb(equivalent of 150watts) and put it on my table. i dont know how to keep it humid so i put it in an empty plastic tub. i also put the plastic tray filled with water under the pot. do you guys think there's any hope for the flytrap at all? i dont know if its dead or not. they said they got it from OSH. i just started browsing the internet and stumbled on to his forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so it is the bulb of the plant only?
    rhizome should be white (the base of the plant)
    if it is white, it is still alive, and there is still hope for the plant, just keep it in good light and watered, and it should show some new growth in about a week

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah so long as the rhizome is good the plants usually rebound but understand that it will look weak and miserable for alittle while... i actually rescued a really small offshoot that was dieing on a shelf becuase of what they had had it planted in well I repotted it and just waited and it came around... took longer than a week... but it came aruond and its now putting off big new leaves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    depending upon the lighting conditions, he could see a new leaf or two forming within a week or 2 is what i meant, i didnt mean it would be like OH SNAP IM GROWIN AGAIN haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and a question, what color should the root be? the tip of the root was alittle black and fade to white from the top

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, green and white are good signs. The roots should be blackish and the rhizome/corm/bulb should be firm and not mushy when gently squeezed. Don't dig it up to check it at this point.

However, confirm that the peat moss is Sphagnum peat and both the peat and Perlite are free from fertilizer. If either contain "Miracle-Gro" then that is not a good thing. If you cannot find either without fertilizer locally you can order them from Andrew (the proprietor of this board) from Flytrapshop.com. He can probably get it to you in 4 days or less via Priority Mail.

If the plant is dormant it may take more than a couple weeks to resume growth. Being as the plant was bought at OSH chances are it is not dormant.

Be sure to water with distilled, rain or water filtered by Reverse Osmosis only.

Otherwise you seem to have many of the basics down already.

Additional reading:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=81026
    http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2000.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats fine, my plants usually have black roots that fade as they reach the rhizome.
    i think thats normal. here are a few of my VFTs, if you look at the pot on the bottom right, i have 2 akai ryu that were cut back to bulb and are coming back. one may have died, i am not sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thankyou so much, you guys have been very very helpful. another question. i have the big office water filter thing from arrowhead, they deliver me 10 gallon every month. can i use those drinking water? or does those water have mineral? also there's this fuzzy white stuff in the old pot, they look like chewed up piece of white chicken but it dried up now and its pretty soft, just wondering if anyone knew what that was. i'll provide picture in an hour or two when i get my camera back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast