What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Were to buy sphagnum peat moss??

geckoman

Football = Life
I have looked for sphagnum peat moss at 2-3 different Home Depots, 2 different Lowes, and 2 Walmarts and can not find any peat moss besides Miracle-Gro "enriched peat moss" but that has fertalizer so it is not ok for CP's right? Is there anything I can do to it to make it ok to use for CP's?

I then decided to just buy a bale of it online put I can only find Pre-mixed CP soil and bulk peat moss. So I need you guys to list your online source for sphagnum peat moss please.

I live in Orlando FL, so if anyone knows of a source for SPM in the central Florida region I would be willing to drive a ways to get some.

Thanks,

Josh
(PS, I did search but could not find anything helpful)

The afore-mentioned stores, along with Lowes should have the 2.2 and the 3.5 cm bales of Lambert or Schultz or... but maybe toward March.

because of the southeastern drought, a lot of those places have been selling out of soil amendments like peat (even mulch is hard to come by for some southeastern farmers), which help retain water. my mom works at home depot and people/landscape contractors are going crazy buying up all the peat to counter water restrictions.

Peat flies off the shelves late winter to begin with - all the replanting/landscaping starts kicking off too.

Peat flies off the shelves late winter to begin with - all the replanting/landscaping starts kicking off too.

^Very true. I've been having trouble finding Peat and Perlite as well, but my Wal-Mart always has some once Spring begins. In addition, all the Lowes I have been to always carry dry Sphagnum Moss, which you can use as an alternative to the Peat.

because of the southeastern drought, a lot of those places have been selling out of soil amendments like peat (even mulch is hard to come by for some southeastern farmers), which help retain water. my mom works at home depot and people/landscape contractors are going crazy buying up all the peat to counter water restrictions.
I guess then because of that^ and the fact that peat goes fast during winter is why I have not ben able to find any peat lately.
I think I will just go ahead and buy some from Andrew.
Thanks for the info guys,

Josh

Back