What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

old leaves for propagation

What is the success rate using leaves that are "on their last legs" for propagation? Is the amount of rhizome the only thing that's important?

I'm not seeing any growth in what I'm using.. am I wasting my time?

Adam

probably a waste of time
low success rate with dying leaves.
if you use healthy newer leaves and cut them in about 1/2 inch - 1 inch increments, you should get some plantlets.
look through the VFT threads and find the threads like "how i turned 1 VFT into 40"
many good steps involved in that.

That's too bad.. I was hoping to have at least 2 new plants out of my 4 leaves. The leaves were still green, but were the oldest on the plant. The traps were showing signs of turning black though.

The good news is that where I yanked out the leaves, a tiny new plant started growing out of the wound that was left behind on the main plant.

I don't want to pull any new leaves as it's winter and don't want to stress the plant too much... or should that not be a concern?

Adam

That's a good thread you posted. Thanks!

I hope I reproduced the environment he had set up...

Adam

oh older. not dying xD
when you said "last leg" i thought you meant they were turning black and dying lol.

I recently pulled 2 Akai Ryu and 2 Big Mouth leaves with dead/dieing traps. They had some of white part of the rhizome still on them so I planted them in some very shallow soil. Hopefully they take root! Today I should get in my B52 and Red Piranha so I might do the same with those soon too!

I hope it works out for you. I just planted a few nep cuttings and a bunch of dew cuttings. I'm hoping I get something out of them.

Yup, I only use older leaves (leaves where the traps have turned black) and I get pretty good success rate. I've never tried it with younger "healthier" leaves, so I don't know if there's a difference. I can't bring myself to pull up a perfectly good leaf ;)

I have 2 leaves that are on their last legs that are right next to one another. I'll try to pull both of them out at the same time, hopefully with some of the common rhizome. If that doesn't work, then I'm definately doing something wrong..

I can get myself to pull out healthy leaves either!

Back