What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too cold for germination?

I will be putting some vft seeds in with the highlanders. The temps are 70's in the day and drop into the 40's at night. Is this too cold to get them to germinate?

it's kind of too hot it should be in the fridge, that where i put mine for stratification.

too hot for germination? o_O it should be in the fridge?
i think polywer is addressing to dormancy or stratification, not germination.
as for germination, i'm sure somebody can help you... but i think 40F is too low. i said i think.

Hmmm.....I have never tried germinating vft in those conditions...but I have my second batch of VFT seed germinating this year. The seed are best germinated when sown fresh [no stratification]. My temps for them are well.... 75F - 85F day | 70F or so at night.

VFTs dont need to be stratified to germinate. but they do need to be very fresh

it sounds fine to me. just dont let it drop to low. and with lows in the 40s the new seedlings will be slow growing. just make sure the light is high and your set.

Alex

BTW: nice to see you back JM!

ohh thought you ment stratifacation sorry about that

VFTs dont need to be stratified to germinate. but they do need to be very fresh

it sounds fine to me. just dont let it drop to low. and with lows in the 40s the new seedlings will be slow growing. just make sure the light is high and your set.

Alex

BTW: nice to see you back JM!

Yeah thanks that whole thing was stupid anyways. Maybe my old 23 watt CF would work better? It's just the light is stronger in the basement but it's also colder.

Your temperatures sound perfectly ok to me.

VFTs germinate in late spring, not summer, so they don't need ultra high temps to germinate.

Yeah I moved them to a different room under a 23 watt CF. I had some seeds germinate before but with 2 lights on. I hope they will with just one this time.

In my experience,VFT seeds will germinate most anytime there is warm weather, from May to Sept. I think that they will germinate when conditions are right for them,Please don't try to dig the seeds out from where they are. Once conditions are right it will take 3 weeks for them to start sprouting.
Good Luck.
Lois

Oh yeah there will be no digging mainly because I can't find them. It's wait til they sprout to know where they are and I'm ready to wait for them. I coached 4th to 6th grade sports, I'm very patient.

Back