User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions About Chilean Sphagnum (Orchid Moss) and other VFT questions -Lots of PICS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ur sphagnum moss looks great. Lowes use to sell that type. Now they sell this darker looking sphagnum, same as Home Depot. Don't know how the darker sphagnum will look when they resurrect to life. Will know in a few months. Nice "McGyver" type lighting system...something I would have come up with in order to save $$$.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WayCool View Post
    something I would have come up with in order to save $$$.
    I use sunlight, very cheap and you can find it anywhere!
    And Alien1099 your spaghnum moss looks great!
    However I think the sarracenia would love it outside

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one thing though...I personally....just personally don't use sphag for VFT's. They do great in a peat + perlite mix. I use a lot of sphag for my neps...so I tend to try and limit my usage whenever possible....and for the most part I am growing my own sphagnum and I use that on my neps now.

Secondly...I found that VFT's can do great in sphag as well...so good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    one thing though...I personally....just personally don't use sphag for VFT's. They do great in a peat + perlite mix. I use a lot of sphag for my neps...so I tend to try and limit my usage whenever possible....and for the most part I am growing my own sphagnum and I use that on my neps now.

Secondly...I found that VFT's can do great in sphag as well...so good luck.
    They are all rooted/planted in a 70% peat 30% perlite mix. The LFS is just a top layer about half an inch thick around the plants.

Quote Originally Posted by celox View Post
    I use sunlight, very cheap and you can find it anywhere!
    And Alien1099 your spaghnum moss looks great!
    However I think the sarracenia would love it outside
    I'm sure they would like it outside, but unfortunately it just gets too hot here during the summer for most CPs I believe. I'm not sure of the max temperature for sarracenia, but from what I've read the dionaea would almost certainly cook in the Phoenix, AZ sun.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The heat should not bother them as long as you keep them wet. I could be wrong. It does get into the 100's here in GA. Also if your worried about it being too hot. Then shade them during the noon time sun. Cali carnivores grows everything under shade cloth.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your media is just fine. And when the temps stay above freezing, I would take them outside.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien1099 View Post
    They are all rooted/planted in a 70% peat 30% perlite mix. The LFS is just a top layer about half an inch thick around the plants.

Aaah! thanks for mentioning that. Thats good. It will save you money as well as keep it if you might say : RESOURCEFUL. Long fiber Sphag is pretty expensive in comp to peat. Anyways... If you wanted an LFS upper layer....how come you didn't do a live LFS layer? Try getting some live LFS and then grow it out in a sealed bag for a while and you will eventially have enough to fill that tub. Its grows pretty well and looks pretty amazing as well. Only prob is it is very water greedy. If it even gets dry a bit...the tips will whiten, heat up and darken making it look horrible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The moss will sprout into a lush green carpet in a couple of months as the the dormant spores germinate.

Your sarracenia is seriously light starved though. Until you get a stronger light, or that window starts to get some decent sunlight, you'll never get any decent pitchers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast