0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it would seem that media is a lot more durable indoors haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how much sand to peat should be used. The book "A Savage Garden" says 1 to 1 ratio. Now is that 1 to 1 volume or weight?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not that big a deal. Very few plants want it heavuly one way or the other. If you have let's say, pygmys sundews or B. liniflora, go with much more sand. Other than that, you can eyeball it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by scubacory View Post
    So how much sand to peat should be used. The book "A Savage Garden" says 1 to 1 ratio. Now is that 1 to 1 volume or weight?

I usually go by volume myself, of dry peat moss and coarse blasting sand (silica sand used for sandblasting, available at lots of home and garden stores, lumberyards, etc.). I loosen the peat moss from the compressed bale, then somewhat compress it into the measuring container to achieve the amount I want. I moisten the mixture with rain water (or reverse osmosis water) and mix it well before using it.

Here in arid eastern New Mexico I usually use slightly more peat moss than sand for Venus Flytraps, to retain water a little longer in this dry climate (I never leave Venus Flytraps soaking in trays of water; I believe it can promote root or crown rot).

For Venus Flytraps, I use:

• 6 measures of slightly (re)compressed peat
    • 5 measures of coarse silica sand.

I sometimes substitute a measure or two of perlite for an equal amount (by volume) of sand.

Happy growing--

Steve
    Be happy in the travel--there is no destination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mix mine in a 2:1 ratio peat: perlite. I dump the amount of peat moss I need into a mixing container. Add purified water. Scrunch it up with my hands to get it all hydrated. Add my perlite. Mix it all up. Pour it into your pot that you're planting your plants in. Make the proper depressions for the roots/bulbs. Hold plants over depressions and refill. Done. Pretty simple stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by scubacory View Post
    Volume.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12