What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jiffy seed starter kits for VFT seeds

I got some of the little peat pellets left over from the mini greenhose things to get some LFS started and I was thinking of using them for VFT seeds. Would it be ok to just place maybe like 3 seeds per pellet and keep in the dome by a window? They coule be kept in there with the moss and all grow together.

Sounds good to me.

Good luck fighting off the fungus and green molds that those little things are packed with...

I've lost many rare seeds to peat pellets. I'll never use them again.

I microwaved them, I soaked them with a fungicide; nothing helped.

Those pellets are lethal I think...

Just my 2¢.

Yeah I just figured I would not use the pellets and just use regular peat moss but use the dome and that try.

i dont know why, i didnt microwave and use fungicide, and nothing came up. when i microwaved and dipped in fungicide, it started coming up. i coudnt use the dome anymore, so i guess its a waste of money for me. my dad said 23watts(100 watts equivalent) for 15 hour a day is an extra 40$ to the electricity bill and i didnt want to use the dome anymore xD

I would add perlite if you did try it.

They're just a god-awful product. They've killed cactus seedlings, catnip seedlings, vegetable seedlings, CP seedlings... I swear that they must coat the things in heat/bleach/fungicide-resistant bacteria and fungi before shipping them.

I always, always make my own mix when I can. It's also cheaper.

I think you're better off sprouting them in live LFS.

I'm not going to use the pellets. I gave those away some my old teacher who does a lot of gardening. I'm using a mix of peat moss and perlite, with just a layer of the peat moss on top. That way it's plan on the top and spoting any sprouts would be easier. I don't have any live LFS but maybe use some of the chile as a top layer and they both can maybe grow in together. But then I'm just putting them in the window. No extra lights or anything. Would it be good to use the dome or not?

It depends on how hot your windowsill gets. A closed container can heat up really fast, especially this time of year, though in Milwaukee I imagine you'll be fine.

Yeah I'm not sure I have a bigger tray and dome for LFS in the window and it is showing 97 for the temp when the sun is coming up.

i dont know why, i didnt microwave and use fungicide, and nothing came up. when i microwaved and dipped in fungicide, it started coming up. i coudnt use the dome anymore, so i guess its a waste of money for me. my dad said 23watts(100 watts equivalent) for 15 hour a day is an extra 40$ to the electricity bill and i didnt want to use the dome anymore xD

Upper, perhaps you need to sit down with Dad and do a little math. Here is a page with state be state power cost. Use your cost to get a very close estimate of actual cost. here is the formula. W x T = KWH. KWH x your cost per KWH = cost per day (wattage x time = kilo watt hours). 1 KWH is running 1000 watts for 1 hour, or 100 watts for 10 hours, or 10 watts for 100 hours, etc. So, if you have a 25 watt bulb on for 16 hours a day, 25 x 16 = 400 watts or .4KWH. If your power cost is $.10 per KWH, it cost $.04 a day to run that 25 watt bulb for 16 hours. At 4 cents a day times 30 days, it would be about $1.20 a month. If your power cost is $.15 per KWH, the cost per month would be around $1.80 for your 25 watt bulb.
Just to ease your dads worries, that's a long way from $40 a month.
Happy growing!!!

Your dad's math is off. I did the math once. I had a 14 watt flourescent bulb, and it came out to less than a dollar a month to run 15 hours a day.

If that were the case man, We would be going broke with everything I have.

No i'm saying $40 for just one 23 watt bulb we would go broke with all the fish tanks, lights for plants, and snake I have

If your electricity costs 8 cents per kilowatt hour like most places then running your 23 watt bulb for 31 days would cost about 6 cents.

i dont know, he just showed me the bills and it was like 40$ more than last months so i thought it was from the lighting. or the heat pad.

Back