Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Increasing Humidity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Increasing Humidity

Now that Spring is here I intend to leave my VFTS outside during the day.
    Currently, I'm placing them next to a fountain in my yard full of rocks. My VFTS are right above the water full of rocks and not touching anything. My questions is, is this a good idea for increasing humidity outside and is this safe for my VFTS because the water inside the fountain is regular tap water? I only use distilled water to water my VFTS.

Thank you in advance for any useful information!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I was going to say don't worry about it, until I saw that you live in AZ. As long as the water doesn't touch them, I'd say it's fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    Well, I was going to say don't worry about it, until I saw that you live in AZ. As long as the water doesn't touch them, I'd say it's fine.
    You could move to portalnd Or. Than you wouldnt have to worry bout the tap water ;D. Yeah i definetly agree just dont let the water touch em and you be fine

-Flash
    My Grow List: Working on building it back up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Placing them near the water is fine.

You really don't need to worry about humidity. As long as you acclimate your VFTs and water when needed, they will do fine in low ambient humidity, even if you're growing in the desert (like me). In addition, you can also add a layer of live sphagnum at the top of your pots/containers. It will hold water well and increase humidty.

Good luck!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Joossa-- Venus Flytraps can easily be acclimated to very low humidity. At least so long as they are protected from very strong, hot, dry wind.

The two things I worried about in your post is any ground or tap water that the wind may blow from the fountain onto your plants, and the idea that your plants may be exposed to strong wind to begin with, outside near the fountain, depending on whether there are any windbreaks nearby.

The reason I think so much about wind is that here on the grassy eastern plains of New Mexico there are almost no natural topographical features nor trees to act as windbreaks, so the wind can be very strong. Regarding water splashing on the leaves, the ground water I have to deal with here is so "rich" in minerals that if sprayed on the leaves of trees and shrubs, it burns those leaves, which then sometimes turn brown, die and fall from the plants in a week or two.

Anyway, although there may be some real problems to keep in mind, trying to ensure high humidity for Venus Flytraps is not one of them. Careful acclimation to the environment they are growing in, as much as possible, is more important, in my opinion. :-)

Steve
    Be happy in the travel--there is no destination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Steve. Nice to seeing you here!

Good luck with your flytraps this year!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have successfully grown VFTs in humidity that gets as low as ... say 5% during the day and they have been just fine. Mostly you need to make sure that your soil doesn't rise too high in temps, if that happens the whole plant can (only occasionally) turn to mush. Good luck growing them!

Isaac

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humidity is overrated with respect to vfts.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast