Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VFT under growlights....

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap thbjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rattler, who is the Sundew keeping it company?

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baylorguy View Post
    This is really encouraging. The search function yielded far too many posts that implied a person trying to grow VFTs indoors was deranged.
    ...There's good reason why. VFTs are pretty demanding for indoor culture. If you're only starting out, don't get your hopes up. rattler is an exemplary grower and I have a feeling this is the result of a lot of experience and the improbably good growing conditions his home seems blessed with.
    Nice as usual, rattler. One of these days I'll have to steal your house.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find VFTs are perfectly happy on a south, east or west windowsill.

I grew them for a few years when I first started in the hobby. They had a cool winter dormancy every year and were as happy as larry on the windowsill during the growing season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seedjar View Post
    ...There's good reason why. VFTs are pretty demanding for indoor culture. If you're only starting out, don't get your hopes up. rattler is an exemplary grower and I have a feeling this is the result of a lot of experience and the improbably good growing conditions his home seems blessed with.
    Nice as usual, rattler. One of these days I'll have to steal your house.
    ~Joe
    thanks for the compliment but in all reality ive killed about 100 VFT's before i found one thats doing fine in my conditions. thank god for TC plants it has nothing to do with my conditions, my conditions are far from perfect for most plants and i seem to have my best success when i throw up my hands, say fug'it and walk away and let them do their own thing.....killed more plants by babying them than just walking away and leaving them alone. there are plenty here with MUCH more experience than i who i rely heavily on for answering my questions, you dont see me asking many cause i generally know who to ask about what and i go straight to the source instead of posting a question on the board........the only thing i do differently from most is say "screw it, its just a plant, lets try this or lets try that" and i do expect to kill plants in the process. those species that i cant easily replace like some neps and some of the Utrics i tend to keep a close eye on but anything i know i can replace with in a month or two gets experimented on........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rattler, here is my tribute to you

I know they are small, but they are just now emerging from dormancy and are exploding. I grow them under 6 40 w T12 fluorescents.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler_mt View Post
    i throw up my hands, say fug'it and walk away and let them do their own thing.....
    Which is why I'd say you're particularly experienced. As for your conditions, your house isn't exactly a museum conservatory or anything, but I've seen you pull off some pretty impressive stuff in the time I've been here.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baylorguy View Post
    This is really encouraging. The search function yielded far too many posts that implied a person trying to grow VFTs indoors was deranged. I just got mine last week, but so far it is looking good just coming out of dormancy.

What kind of lighting do you use?
    You can grow indoors as long as you give them enough light. Mine get most of their light from a 6900 lumen 5000k CFL and a little sunlight from a screened window. I have several typicals, 2 B52s, an Akai Ryu, and a Red Piranha. The typicals I recently transplanted and weren't in the greatest health (all came from a dollar store). The Red Piranha is still a young plant but it's completely red and sending up new traps all the time. However, the B52s and Akai Ryu are doing absolutely great. I have a few B52 traps that are over 1.5 inches wide and they have a pretty decent amount of red coloring in their traps. The B52s aren't even a year old and they are already monsters! In the past few weeks they've been especially vigorous. All of this under a CFL (granted it's a huge and bright one).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12