What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My etiolated flytraps

Nitecrawler

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior
It's really a shame I can't give these guys more light.

Looks like they'll have to wait until summer when I can take them home and get them out in the Norcal sun.

These are from Andy:

P4080207.jpg

It's funny because the ones I picked up from my 99 cent store aren't etiolated...they are loving the little light I can give them since they've been in the dungeon of that store for a while.

If I am not mistaken I believe the fact that the leaves are thin and the traps are dark means that your plant is just fine. Maybe it is a variety that forms spindly leaves?

-J.P.

no they form different types of leaves, smaller ground leaves and then more upright etiolated leaves during spring...

Ah, I see. That does make sense.

I'm trying to put them as close to the CFL as possible :-))

The old growth looks ok (Red Dragons do grow upright in summer), but the two new leaves in the middle look like they're hunting for light.

Well put by the previous posts, your plant looks normal. The leaves will look a bit etiolated during the summer growing season. Way to pay attention to the changes though !

They look fine to me.
thumbs_up.gif

Those are spring/summer leaves. Tall and straight. Mine are doing the same thing and they receive plenty of light.

If your traps are coloring up nicely, you are indeed giving them sufficient light.

Those leaves are not etiolated.
they are fine, just a normal growth habit.

if they were truly etiolated, from lack of light, they would also be pure-green and show
no red coloration at all. The fact that they are that red shows the light level is fine.

(the word "etiolated" should not be used to describe leaves that are simply thin..
like "etiolated summer leaves"..if the leaves are growing outside in the full summer sun,
but just happen to be thin, they are not etiolated! ;)
they are just thin...the word "etiolated" describes tall thin plant growth as a result of lack of light only.)

Scot

they are not etoliated, they are spring leaves like they say. usually if they would be etoliated the leaves would be limped over and barely able to support themselves. you would also see a toothlike edge on the upper leaves. my first VFTs did that.

It's been well covered... but... Yeah, the short/compact growth is the winter growth... You're plant is right on time with the plants in my g/h :) The 'Akai Ryu' plants have 1-2 leaves worth of the slender long upright growth so far. The picture from my store shows an 'Akai Ryu' plant in full summer growth...

storeakaipotted.JPG

I'm going to say it's doing just fine :) Interesting that your plant in your house is in queue with the plants in my g/h lol You bought it... 9 months ago? I had taken a picture of a flat a few days ago to show the change happening for another member... But it is a crappy picture by cell phone and you can't see the upright leaves. :-\ perhaps I'll try again :)
Andrew

the word "etiolated" should not be used to describe leaves that are simply thin..
Scot

I wasn't pointing to the fact they are thin, I was pointing to the dramatic upright growth of the newest trap.

Thanks everyone for your opinion!

they limp over BECAUSE they are trying to reach the light, they grow long, thin, and weak. no need to be rude about it.

Didn't mean to offend, I was just trying to relate what you were saying to my outside research.

its fine, i understand. ive had a group of VFTs that were horribly etoliated thats why i stated they limp over. because of how weak they are, you know?
mine also grew teeth like edges on the sides of the leaf. very odd plants they were. so far my dentates are fine, just did a seperation yesterday. hopefully the pull through.

I actually have one that has toothed edges on one of the leaves.

But it was from the dollar store, so what are ya gonna do? :-))

Back