What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My trap!

Bought this from Osh, it was one of those Bloomrite tube plants. The poor thing was the 'healthiest' looking one out of the bunch, granted that they were all stuffed in the shady corner :nono:

2lkbqxf.png

2vjrkp5.png

2ljqh3a.png

So it's getting really hot here in California, do you guys think I have a chance at helping this fella grow big?

-Chaddycakez :]

i'm in los angeles, and mine's growing fine outdoor, i just have to keep it moist, but for everything else, nature takes care of it.

It should recover fine with lots of sunlight and clean/pure water.

Just be sure to acclimate it to full sun.

If it's been in a dark corner for too long it might not be able to handle full sun right away.

i got some of my first ones at osh too. then i found the same exact thing at 99cent. so i got like 10 of those. osh sells it for like 5$, while i can get 5 of that at 99cent at the same price.

ps. i didnt even acclimate it. i just change the peat moss, put it in a bigger pot(since i got 10) and threw it outside with top covering of LFs and partial live sphagnum. couple of trap burned, but alot more came out. all my traps turn red and they're already catching bugs.

So it's been a couple of days and my vft has been outside, it looks healthier and gets about 6hr+ of full sun. The tray is always filled with distilled h20. :]

+More shoots are coming up! Yay for more vfts! And they are growing really fast too! :eek:

1z5uolf.png

But why isn't it red?

Hi, you can already see the red hints inside the traps shown above... it'll redden with just more time outside. Keep doing what your doing and everything will be good...

Don't worry about the heat. They're from the southeast. Ever been to the SE? It's ridiculously hot here. Like... suicidally hot. It regularly gets into the high 90's/ low 100's where I live, and I'm south of their native range.

If you happen to catch them as soon as they arrive, you can get REALLY nice, full plants.

lol it went above 90F today in los angeles. i got sunburn, since i was out in the sun almost the whole day(thai new years) but my flytrap seems to like it.(i'm weaker than my VFT, i got sunburn, it didnt.)

Yeah, LA was ridonkulous today. It was pretty nice. 96 F where I am.

I wish I could put my vfts outside...

Yeah it was burning hot in San Jose today, I can't get sunburnt :p because i'm dark XD

My plants are turning red though! *giggles!!

lol, i got the same brand of plant you got from 99cent store, and it looks wayyyy better than the one you got. i learned that. the bigger and juicier vft that i got all died back and made new leaves, and the one that looks long,skinny,and tint of red all survived and brought up a BIG clump of traps.

Boy, has my VFT grown! It's been 3 months of my unrequited tlc, but the plant has grown! I will post pics of it when my cousin wakes up and I can use her iphone hhaha. Oh, I also have another question. My plant seems to be growing from two different spots in the pot. There are some big traps that seem to be growing from the center of the pot. And then there are some really small traps that are growing from the left side. Are these babies growing from the same bulb, or did it split? And how does the splitting process work?

vft's typically divide at the very least once a season, so if you see 2 growth points or a large difference between the trap sizes you can generally assume your rhizome is dividing or running... eitherway you can either let it grow and stay happy and you'll end up with a nice happy clump that looks good in a single pot or you can divide it out and have 2 smaller vft's ...
I generally wait a bit for the division to get going before dividing

no need to repot everything if its happy and growing

The whole idea of having a clumpy pot excites me! HAHA

Here is what my vfts look like now

2zq93xh.png

holy sweet,, man u did a fine job to save that plant, just look at the different,, way to go =]

Great recovery! Now - just redden 'em up !

My babies get about 6-9hrs of direct So Cal sun, however they have yet to redden up? Any tips or advice?

They look amazing compared to how it looked before! Those traps seem huge.

My babies get about 6-9hrs of direct So Cal sun, however they have yet to redden up? Any tips or advice?

i think thats the reddest ur vft can get,,, look almost pinkish =]

Back