What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All things considered...how'd I do?

I'm curious about my indoor setup. I'll be moving them outdoors soon as the weather is getting ripe. For now, flytrap love lamp.

The ultimate question here is whether or not I'm going to kill my flytraps, if they'll thrive, or if this setup will just "do".

I got the Savage Garden a few months back, and have talked to many of you. I finally bought two VFT's last week from flytrapshop and got them all set up yesterday. I just need one more VFT to fill the the empty spot.

Specs

Bulb (5000K/1650 lumens): this one. It's pretty close to the plants and isn't overly hot. I'm running on 14-16 hour light cycles at the moment and leave the ceiling fan on medium to try to trick them into thinking they're outside. I don't think they're fooled.

Soil: 50/50 sphagnum peat & washed play sand (hand-mixed wet).
- Thoroughly wet but not overly soaked.

Water: Reverse-osmosis activated ultraviolet purified.
- Using tray method; 1/2" to 3/4" of water in tray.

Pot: Ceramic (glazed on the outside, unglazed on the inside), dime-sized hole in bottom to support tray method.

vft01.jpg

vft02.jpg

vft03.jpg

vft04.jpg

My biggest concern, obviously, is the light. Is it enough light (not compared to the sun...compared to lights)? If not, I might see about hanging a shop light with three or four 800-lumen T12's...or something?

Thanks for assessing my newbie setup. :)

My biggest concern, obviously, is the light. Is it enough light (not compared to the sun...compared to lights)? If not, I might see about hanging a shop light with three or four 800-lumen T12's...or something?

Four bulbs in a shoplight would definitely be better.

xvart.

well I would put them on a sunny window until you can move them outside or just but the lights and use them for tropical plants like nepenthes or drosera. that is after the flytrap is moved outside.

If you're planning to move them outside soon anyway, I bet they'll be fine there (or maybe a sunny window?). Long term- I would go with shop fixtures. They're not going to be inside too much longer right? As you can tell by the growth, the 'Dente Traps' is already waking up from dormancy, and the typical is still in winter growth... It shouldn't take long for the typical to wake up and start throwing the larger/erect growth... For some reason, the typical are the last ones to wake up for me... ???
Andrew

While I agree with xvart, more is always better, here is what about 3 months in a 10 gal terrarium with 2, 100watt CFL's about 10-12 inches from the plants can do.

DSCI0181.jpg

Here is what the little ones looked like when I got them. As you can see, the largest of the 2 small ones has reddened up very nicely with just the CFL's. The large one was a Lowes rescue.

I just can't see suggesting the purchase of better lights if the plants will be moved outside in 2 or 3 weeks.... :)

Edit: unless you want great looking plants faster and don't mind spending some money :grin:

thbjr, gorgeous coloration in your flytraps. I am hoping mine wiill get there in a couple of months!

Thanks for the compliments, guys. Here is where they live. You can see the Lowes rescue VFT in the back right corner of the pics with the plants in the terrarium. Rather green looking. The 2 small one looked like this, on arrival.
I hope they inspire you to get more of them .... from Andrew of course!!!!! Imagine how nice they'd look if I'd started with quality plants from him.

Looks good thbjr! CFL and flourecent lights can defiantly do a good job on plants! Here is what typicals in my g/h under only the sun look like. (Not direct sun either... since these were not on a top shelf... Sarracenia go there :) )

forwebsite.jpg

Andrew

Yeah,... more IS better!!!
Gorgous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's from last summer.. I've done a few things different this year, I'm really excited for summer :) hehe

But back on topic... weather.com shows 2 days in the 30s for lows where this person is.. but averages shows April lows are around 42-51... So I really think it won't be much longer till they can go outside. (maybe after this storm passes?)

Great suggestions given thus far.

Pot: Ceramic (glazed on the outside, unglazed on the inside), dime-sized hole in bottom to support tray method.
This is no good. It needs to be fully glazed. The pot will begin to leech minerals from its matrix into the soil, especially since it is going to be constantly wet. Use a plastic pot or (if you don't want to spend money) use a sour cream or yogurt container. Just cut holes at the bottom.

Good luck.

Great suggestions given thus far.
This is no good. It needs to be fully glazed. The pot will begin to leech minerals from its matrix into the soil, especially since it is going to be constantly wet. Use a plastic pot or (if you don't want to spend money) use a sour cream or yogurt container. Just cut holes at the bottom.
Good luck.

Whoops. Good catch, I'm glad I mentioned the glazing. :)

I'll return it and get a plastic pot. Thanks a ton.

--------HELPFUL TIP-----------

Instead of trying to "cut" or "poke" extra holes into brittle plastic containers which more likely will simply crack; try using a "hot knife".

A cheap hobby tool that heats up (standard home AC outlet) and allows you to cut thru thin plastics. You can use an Xacto blade or a dowel/chisel tip to create drain holes in any plastic pot you wish! It's really a poor-man's soldering iron...

Hot knife example

Also great for putting ventilation holes into clear plastic drinking cups used as small humidity domes. (acclimating new small plants)

Available at any hobby shop. Probably Lowes and Walmart too.............

Just be VERY careful as hot knives get unbelievably HOT!! Keep away from small children and pets.

(and don't burn your plants either...) :nono:

Back