User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rough plan for indoor setup...help?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bianchi914 View Post
    The on ehting you will hvae to thikn about with the plants is dormancy. But you got an AWSOME! rack are those the ones you can buy form lowes??
    Yes I got it at Lowe's and it does rock :-) $70, and it's 6 feet tall, 4 feet wide, 16" deep.

I'm only mildly concerned about dormancy. I have plenty of time to decide which method I'll go with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks good so far now just move your flytraps outside when you can and get some drosera and some nepenthes.
    and when you need to buy more fixtures.
    glad you dropped 70$ on a shelf now just drop 70$ on nepenthes some good starters are ventricosa, sanguinea and ventricosa x maxima is a nice hybrid.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think a rack is better if you're looking to grow more plants inside... You already know you're going to have more plants but more inside? is the question.. even if it's just for the winter... I too used a rack as shown above... I ran 3 shop light fixtures (6 bulbs) per shelf and I didn't wrap my rack.. I just humidified the whole room... I wrapped it once and it just got too danged hot in there . Here is what my rack looked like (if you can see through the blinding glow )

I used that for years before going to a greenhouse... I'm actually going to set one back up. I feel some plants do better under lights than out in the g/h...
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow how much does it cost to run that thing?
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap thbjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thbjr, do you have to use distilled water in the humidifiers? Or does the humididfier take out any impurities?

-matt
    Matt, the Hunter humidifier has 'perma wick'. It is a coated metel mesh (quarenteed for 5 years) that the water is pumped up and dripped on top of. It doesn't 'wick' the water up like the cheaper one does. I'd like to use RO water, but I use nearly 10 gallons a week, so I just soak all the filters in a vinegar solution every Sat night for about 30 minutes to remove the water deposit solids. I do have to replace the wick filter about every 3 months, but they are available at Wallymart for about $5. Someday, when I get an RO system for the whole house install, I'll certainly used RO water in the humidifiers.

We must think alike - this is exactly what I ended up doing.

- I don't have black/white plastic or a timer yet...what does the black/white plastic do?
    - Do you have something lying on the shelves under your pots? It looks like something is there, but I don't know if it's functional or just aesthetic preference.
    Valydius, Nice set up!!! The black/white was wrapped around the shelf, originally, for light reflection and with the pull down shade, I thought I would be able to keep the small humidifier inside the shelving unit and keep the humidity up. But when I got all 6 shoplights in, the temp was going through the roof. So I had to open up the front to dissipate the heat and the 1 small humidifier could only get the room humidity up to around 50-55%. Thats when I added the larger Hunter humidifier and now the room runs aroung 60-65% daytime and 75% night time. Not bad concidering the house humidity is around 15% daytime and 25% at night.
    As for what is on the shelves, it's just cardboard. I put it on there so that the flats and other containers will slide around easily.

Tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12