What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is this fungus?

Image053.jpg

just took a photo of my VFT the one im tryin to save...

iv managed to now control the aphid problem i had they all appear to be dead now after giving it one spray of that provado bug killer.

now it seems to be loosing its colour i think this was mentioned when i was readin up on spraying it with this just want to make sure..

Should i cut off these two stalks that you can see in the photo as close as i can till they are just green as they seem to have fungus on them?

and what can i do to try make this plant pick up? i can see no new growth so far just current growth slowly dying off... no doubt the aphids have not helped though.

Yeah, that looks like fungus. I would probably cut those off. You might want to treat with a fungicide (lightly) as well.

To make the plant pick back up, just do the normal things that you do with Venus Fly Traps:
lots of sunlight and clean water.

Good luck!

Yeah, I'd say thats fungus. If you decide to treat with fungicide, it is very important that it be used lightly as it could easily damage the plant.

its only on the dead stuff so its ok...but that probably means your plant is indoors, very humid, has no air ciculation and has very little light. give it as much light as possible (outside?) and you wont see that fungus anymore. it will also start growing again and making nice traps. looks like 'Red Dragon'. is it?

Alex

Your image below does not look like fungus, it looks like a Dionaea muscipula plant.

forgive me for not circling the area lol.

i was always never sure what produced fungus..

the plant is indoors due to cold weather as im in the uk.. iv got it in a vivarium with cling film over the top but like a inch gap all the way a long on one side (funny enough above that plant)

ill take a picture of my setup later on

its only on the dead stuff so its ok...but that probably means your plant is indoors, very humid, has no air ciculation and has very little light. give it as much light as possible (outside?) and you wont see that fungus anymore. it will also start growing again and making nice traps. looks like 'Red Dragon'. is it?

Alex

i think it is the red dragon yeh, which is why im interested in getting it growing again... only bought it for £2 very cheap and there appears to be about 4 of the same plant in one pot.

would keeping it in a tray of water be enough humidity indoors? so bassically how i have it now but without the cling film on the top?

the other plant thats in the same viv is growing fine very fast and healthy

That plant looks bad, I hope it makes it.

However do me a favor and don't label it Red Dragon (not now not ever unless you can get a dna match), cause you are not sure where it comes from (since it comes from a grocery store of some kind). It might be just one of the many red vft's out there and if you mislabel it and it somehow get's into circulation.. well you get the point and I hate to see more confusion about real clones because of people mislabeling their vft's

That plant looks bad, I hope it makes it.

However do me a favor and don't label it Red Dragon (not now not ever unless you can get a dna match), cause you are not sure where it comes from (since it comes from a grocery store of some kind). It might be just one of the many red vft's out there and if you mislabel it and it somehow get's into circulation.. well you get the point and I hate to see more confusion about real clones because of people mislabeling their vft's

yes it does look very bad...

BUT i think one of the leaves is starting to open up on it... fingers crossed.

dont worry i wont label it a red dragon lol.

just bought me self a humidity and temperature guage so i will be able to tell now if the conditions are fine in my room and maybe be able to take them out of the viv and just let them be in pots in a tray of pebels and water.

Thinkin about buying a sundue next im addicted!

This is how i have it at the moment but im guesin i wont need the clingfilm judging by the humidity guage as its above 50% nearer 60%

Image056.jpg

Craig, You don't need the cling film and you can reduce the water level in the bottom of the tank. The cling film is unnecessary for humidity, VFTs do fine in low humidity as long as you keep them well watered, and will tend to trap heat inside the vivarium. I top water my plants and allow it to overflow the water tray. That way I know the soil is saturated and it helps rinse out any mineral build up that might be occurring from the rain water I use for watering. The side walls of the vivarium will help keep the humidity up a little, too. As for getting it to pick up its growth again, it just needs time to recover from the aphids. That plus lots of sunlight and plenty of pure water and it will be a good looking plant again.

Craig, You don't need the cling film and you can reduce the water level in the bottom of the tank. The cling film is unnecessary for humidity, VFTs do fine in low humidity as long as you keep them well watered, and will tend to trap heat inside the vivarium. I top water my plants and allow it to overflow the water tray. That way I know the soil is saturated and it helps rinse out any mineral build up that might be occurring from the rain water I use for watering. The side walls of the vivarium will help keep the humidity up a little, too. As for getting it to pick up its growth again, it just needs time to recover from the aphids. That plus lots of sunlight and plenty of pure water and it will be a good looking plant again.

thanks i taken the cling film off and iv bought my self a humidity gauge and a temp sensor was only cheap but gives me an idea... but its above 50% and its above 20c so its pretty decent Conditions and i think its picked back up the VFT :-O as i can see one leaf of new growth ill post pictures when i finally get a new trap on it.

Back