Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: watering and light distance

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct, 3 inches is not too far... very common misconception. Your lighting is adequate. And really, if the plants are only 3 inches from the lights, your plants are not getting the full benefit of your fixtures. I would say between 8-12 inches is better.

I have D. filiformis, so I had to move the lighting up so as to accomodate the new leaves. No change in the color of my venus flytrap; in fact, it seems to like it a bit more. People can give you advice, but I would experiment and see what works for you. Venus flytraps are pretty hardy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    3 inches is NOT far. I have my plants around 12 inches over the plant tray. My vft's still get blood red and drool.
    That made me laugh out loud. Are your VFT's in a terrarium or in the open?

I dropped the shelf and removed their little pedestals; they're now about 10 inches from the six T12 light fixtures.

I can't get past the thought that if the humidity isn't above 60%, they won't "drool" as you call it, which is what attracts their food. Is this not the case for yours? I'd prefer not to have to put all my VFT's in a terrarium; that's where my pitchers and sundews live.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Valydius View Post
    I can't get past the thought that if the humidity isn't above 60%, they won't "drool"
    Just get past it. VFTs do fine in low humidity. They get juicy and drool just like they do in high humidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Valydius View Post
    That made me laugh out loud. Are your VFT's in a terrarium or in the open?

I dropped the shelf and removed their little pedestals; they're now about 10 inches from the six T12 light fixtures.

I can't get past the thought that if the humidity isn't above 60%, they won't "drool" as you call it, which is what attracts their food. Is this not the case for yours? I'd prefer not to have to put all my VFT's in a terrarium; that's where my pitchers and sundews live.
    I am in Phoenix, AZ and my plants are just out in the open in my room under a big fluorescent light. Trust me when I say they do not need high humidity to thrive. I'll take some pics when I get home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmlr38 View Post
    Just get past it. VFTs do fine in low humidity. They get juicy and drool just like they do in high humidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien1099 View Post
    I am in Phoenix, AZ and my plants are just out in the open in my room under a big fluorescent light. Trust me when I say they do not need high humidity to thrive. I'll take some pics when I get home.
    Perfect, thanks. Looks like I'm in good shape then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12