Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: watering and light distance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

watering and light distance

Surprise, I have more questions. I just want to do this right from the start and learning from you guys has gotten me some great info. Thanks for all the help so far.

Light Distance

I have two pots of about 4 VFT's each at the moment. Above them are six T12, 6500K, 3300 lumen, 40-watt fluorescent bulbs in three 48" shop fixtures.

The temperature in the room they're in is typically about 78-82 degrees.

I'm using the tray method and at present the Lowe's-bought VFT's are about 3 inches tall on thin, high-climbing spring leaves.

The humidity above the tray, among the VFT's is about 50-55% or higher.

Currently the tallest traps are about 3 inches from the lights. I'm worried that this is too close. Should I back them down?

Watering

I use the tray method with reverse-osmosis water and have been keeping about an inch of water in the trays. When I water from the top I often disturb the soil a bit (I'm kinda clumsy and don't have the steadiest hand). This brings me to three questions:

- Can I water at the tray, or should I be watering from the top, over the rhizomes?
    - How exactly do you know when your plant needs watered? There's the tray water level to consider, as well as keeping the top soil moist.
    - Should you water them a little bit daily, or should you let the tray water all but evaporate completely and then add the water back in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nope, if anything 3 inches is too far, get the lights as close as possible like 1 inch above

you can also just water the tray, you dont have to water from the top unless it dries out
    I water the try once there no or a little water left

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 inches is NOT far. I have my plants around 12 inches over the plant tray. My vft's still get blood red and drool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally water from the top and then wait until the water drains into the tray. But if you water the tray then that is fine, because the soil would be kept constantly moist.

Oh and I have a question, can someone explain to me the science of how water in the tray keeps the soil all moist? I'm pretty baffled X_X
    “I don’t at all like knowing what people say of me behind my back. It makes me far too conceited.”
    —Oscar Wilde

I Like Watching Things Grow... laxgoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the soil absorbs the water. so as the retained water evaporates, the soil is constantly provided with more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its capillary action that draws the water up. much like a dry sponge sitting in a water puddle, it will soak it up.

~b

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior Nitecrawler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah...hydrogen bond action, too.

All of the positive H atoms in water are attracted to the negative O atoms of neighboring molecules, so it makes a kind of water molecule chain. So when the top water gets evaporated, it pulls on the chain and everything goes up.

H-bonding is what also creates surface tension.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast