Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Royal Red !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eh hell be fine mate. as stated many times in this forum VFT (and most CPs) are a lot tougher than people credit them for. If you think about it we baby them: Feed them, perfect housing, perfect light, clean pure water without animal waste, nothing to really harm them. They will be just fine!
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but I would say to resist the urge to mess with their root system at all unless there is something seriously wrong... right now thye are on the rebound, I'm sure they'll be fine if you were very careful but why even risk it until they're healthier?

just for future knowledge. its hard to not play with them when you first get them especially if your new to the cp world but its generally not the best time to do so

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't have to acclimate it, that vendor grows their plants in full sun.

It probably wasn't the best idea to move the plants around in the pot, early spring is the time for doing that. You should have at least waited until you could tell if they are ok from shipping or until they started new growth. Now, chances are they're in shock and it will take even longer for them to grow new traps and for you to tell if they are ok.

-Matt
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a well traveled man and not familiar with the weather outside of sunny California. But I do know my state. The VFT vendor is in Sonoma, which is cooler and less dry than San Jose. I agree that VFT in general are very sturdly plants and can survive in various conditions, so long as they are kept wet and not cook in the direct sunlight of California. The VFT are already sad looking and don't need the added heat and dryness to further stress them. The pot looks pretty small and heat build up left outdoor is a real possibility. Acclimating the little guys will NOT harm them. Having them dry up and bake in the sun MAY cause harm. If those are the only two VFTs you have, how would you want to treat them? Whatever you decide to do, it's all part of the learning experience that makes growing CP frustrating and FUN. =) GOOD LUCK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just a response and the vendor told me that it is in its dormancy stage . x_X

VFTs look that ugly when they are dormant?
    “I don’t at all like knowing what people say of me behind my back. It makes me far too conceited.”
    —Oscar Wilde

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I guess it depends on the depth of dormancy... In conditions so cold (or maybe so dark?) a plant may not look as good when dormant. Back when I used the fridge method, they looked similar to that.. but lets face it, they were really cold with zero light. And I lost plants that way.

Now they're in the g/h for winter, and they just become smaller more compact (close to the ground) vfts but still good looking plants. This is with days in the 60s and nights in the 40s... This picture is of a mixed tray in mid December...

They're now starting to wake up. so you can see the leaves growing upright and are larger... You can see an example of that in this tray of VFT 'Dentate Traps'

Someone that puts their plants into a "deeper?" dormancy should know if that's what they look like though Ozzy? you should know what they look like in nature....

Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends a lot on the plant and the growing conditions. Some will lose practically all their leaves while others just slow down growth. And anything out of tissue culture within 18 months probably hasn't synced up completely with the growing conditions and photoperiod and isn't good to judge by. They may also be influenced by the "vigorous growth" spurt phenomenon from Tissue Culture that Barry Rice notes.

For example my 4-5 year old 'Akai Ryu' from leaf pulling lost practically all it's leaves when it went dormant. And the 2-3 year old "Crested Petioles" which arrived dormant in January lost all but one or two leaves. Both the 'Akai Ryu' and "Crested Petioles" only resumed growth a few weeks ago.

Where as my 'B52's which came out of tissue culture in Dec 2006 just slowed down growth and lost a lot of color. These started growing again at the end of January.

For further reference look at this photo on Barry Rice's site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It probably wasn't the best idea to move the plants around in the pot, early spring is the time for doing that. You should have at least waited until you could tell if they are ok from shipping or until they started new growth. Now, chances are they're in shock and it will take even longer for them to grow new traps and for you to tell if they are ok.
    I wouldn't quite agree with that. Letting them be is the way to go, but don't worry about root damage or 'shock'. They're tough and can cope with being uprooted, shipped and potted up again. They don't really go into shock and soon start growing again after disturbance.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast